JobID 5421 : Service High Area Temp Crossing Guard (#1971937)
Bargaining Unit: Temporary
Work Year: 9 months per year
Work Day: 2 to 4 hours per day
Salary: $10.19 per hour
The Service High area includes the following schools: Abbott Loop, Kasuun, Northern Lights ABC, Rilke Schule, Spring Hill, Taku, and Trailside. Work is generally performed between 8:15 AM to 9:00 AM and 3:30 PM to 4:00 PM.
The primary function of a crossing guard is to direct and regulate the flow of traffic so that school children can cross the street safely before and after school.
The following are required:
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- Ability to communicate effectively and maintain productive relationships with others.
The following are preferred:
- Experience working with children in a job or volunteer related capacity.
- Knowledge of school rules and regulations regarding safety and student behavior.
- Knowledge of basic traffic laws, ordinances, and regulations pertaining to school zones.
- Ability to direct and regulate the flow of traffic so that school children can cross the street safely.
- Ability to assist and control children waiting to cross intersections.
- Ability to resolve problems, handle conflicts, and make effective decisions under pressure.
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
- Ability to work well with adults and children.
- Ability to enforce school rules and safety regulations effectively.
Essential Job Functions
- Supervises and assists school children when crossing streets before and after school at designated intersection in variable weather conditions.
- Reports unauthorized activities, unauthorized persons, and inappropriate student behavior to appropriate authorities.
- May perform duties of noon duty.
The physical demands of this job require frequent standing, walking, sitting, speaking, and hearing. Specific visual abilities are also required. The employee is regularly required to reach with his/her hands and arms and occasionally lift items weighing less than 40 lbs. Additionally, the employee must be able to communicate by oral and written means in an appropriate business manner and have cognitive skills to understand instructions, readily recall facts and details, handle conflict, and make effective decisions under pressure. The employee must have the ability to effectively manage the stress of working with students, parents, and other employees representing diverse cultures, personalities, and work styles in a dynamic work environment.
The Anchorage School District is committed to providing reasonable accommodations, according to applicable state and federal laws, to all individuals with qualified physical or mental disabilities.
Work is performed in a professional environment with a wide variety of individuals having differing functions, personalities and abilities, including working with diverse groups of people in a variety of different settings.
While performing the duties of this job the employee may be regularly exposed to a video display. The employee may be exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Additional Job Information
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties as requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
Anchorage School District employees must possess the ability to read and write in English. This includes the ability to communicate in English with school staff, coworkers, and the public. Employees must also have the ability to comprehend and carry out oral and written directions and understand and follow English instructions and written documents.
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a satisfactory criminal background check.
This position may be required to work in ASD facilities on the military installations (JBER). Please visit www.dhs.gov/real-id-enforcement-brief for additional information.
The Anchorage School District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.