JobID 277 : Finance Secretary (#1970019)
TITLE: Finance Secretary
Bachelor’s or Associate’s Degree preferred.
High School Diploma or Equivalency Certificate required.
Experience; Three (3) years of progressive clerical accounting experience "or" any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the work of this position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities; The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made on request to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Demonstrated ability to effectively work and communicate with diverse populations.
- Proficient with computer based financial systems.
- Ability to employ business technology tools (e.g. Microsoft Office Suite, calculator, copiers, E-mail)
keyboards; ability to communicate well verbally and in writing; good vision and hearing,
with corrective devices if necessary. Position often requires extended periods at a desk,
performing repetitive tasks. Position requires occasional lifting of boxes up to 25
REPORTS TO Supervisor of Finance
JOB GOAL: Serves as Secretary to the Supervisor of Finance. In addition, this position performs a wide variety of highly responsible fiscal record keeping tasks to assemble, prepare, and verify proper documentation leading to issuance of checks. This complex clerical level of work involves responsibility for the highly detailed, difficult and responsible tasks including review and verifying of invoices to purchase orders, maintenance of files for open purchase orders, and coordination with the schools and other offices to achieve the necessary documentation to promptly pay vendors. The secretary is required to have an advanced knowledge of and background in a computerized financial system, where the clerk is able to use all tables and ledgers to determine the existence of the purchase authorizations, verification of vendor statements or resolving problems with vendor payments. In addition, the clerk is responsible for data entry of all documents into the computerized financial system to establish payment resulting in an accounts payable check. This position will assist schools, offices, and/or vendors to clarify any problems precluding the processing of invoices within reasonable and customary business practices.
- Prepare and perform the necessary data entry for each request for pay document into the financial system. Research and resolve errors encountered, and complete posting to the General Ledger.
- Verify all information including vendor/employee name, social security numbers/vendor number, and budget account numbers.
- Maintain files to coordinate the receipt of authorizing documents, invoices and receiving documents to produce prompt payments for vendor invoices. Examples of the types of files to be established are: Purchase Orders for assigned Vendors awaiting receiving copies or invoices, open invoices pending authorizing documents, invoices that do not reference Purchase Orders requiring follow up with vendors.
- Verify invoices against purchase orders, quantities ordered vs. received, and pricing. Contact vendors and ordering locations to resolve discrepancies.
- Responsible for vendor payments, verifying payments accuracy and attached all supporting documentation.
- Prepare/assist in preparing reports and assembling statistical summaries, as directed or needed, for internal and external users.
- Assist in training school based personnel in using the computerized financial system to look up account numbers.
- Answer calls from schools, offices and/or vendors relative to payments.
- Assist in the preparation of 1099’s to contractors at year end.
- Serves as Secretary to the Supervisor of Finance. Serves as the initial point of contact for the Supervisor of Finance, assists in creating and organizing schedules, files, and the maintenance and ordering of office inventory.
- Performs other tasks and assumes such other responsibilities as assigned by Supervisor of Finance.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: As found in the Agreement Between the Kent County Educational Support Professionals’ Association and The Board of Education of Kent County. Twelve (12) month position.
SALARY LANE: Secretary Lane, Step established by the Superintendent - $31,179 - $45,215
BARGAINING UNIT: Kent County Educational Support Personnel Association.
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt.
EVALUATION: Performance of this position will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on Evaluation of Support Personnel.