JobID 699 : Custodial Substitute (#1949741)
Reports to – Principal and Director of Finance & Business Services
Summary – Custodians are responsible for the repair, maintenance, cleanliness, and safety of all district facilities and grounds. Their mission is to maintain the school's physical facilities in a condition of cleanliness and safety.
- High School Diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Manual skills to perform cleaning tasks and minor repairs of building and equipment
- Mechanical skills to operate cleaning and groundskeeping equipment
- Perform all activities that are custodial and deemed appropriate by Head Custodian or Administration. Performs work, including but not limited to maintaining a clean, safe, and comfortable school building environment, maintaining clean and attractive grounds.
- Keep buildings and grounds neat and clean at all times.
- Clean and maintain all assigned workspaces and equipment.
- Maintains a clean, safe, and comfortable school building environment. Cleans and disinfects restrooms and drinking fountains; cleans cafeteria, gymnasium, classrooms, windows, and hallways; waxes, buffs, and strips floors; opens/closes building; conducts building walk-through with health and fire inspectors; regulates heat and air conditioning systems for safe and effective operation; moves furniture or equipment within building; sets up building areas for special events; disposes of trash, rubbish, and waste following local laws, regulations, and procedures.
- Maintains clean and attractive school grounds. Mows the grass, rakes leaves, trims trees and shrubs; cuts weeds; mulches existing vegetation and mulches new plantings; cleans drains, curbs, and walkways; checks playground equipment for safety; removes snow and ice from sidewalks and building entrances.
- Perform routine maintenance and repairs of buildings, equipment, and grounds.
- Assist in building and grounds security by unlocking/locking all doors and gates after use and at the end of the workday.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Communicates general information with school staff, students, and visitors
Equipment - Equipment used includes vacuum cleaner, maintenance tools, and equipment including floor polisher, sander, carpet cleaner, lawnmower
Physical - Work involves frequent walking, lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling. Operation of gasoline, diesel, or electric powered machinery requiring manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee frequently must squat, stoop or kneel, reach about the head and reach forward. The employee continuously uses hand strength to grasp tools and climbs on to ladders. The employee will frequently bend or twist at the neck and trunk more than the average person while performing the duties of this job.
The employee must frequently lift or move up to 50 pounds, such as cleaning supplies, pails and unloading trucks. Occasionally the employee will lift or move up to 100 pounds, such as salt and bulk furniture. The employee will sometimes push/pull items such as tables, bleachers, scrubbing machines. Safety rules, training and protective equipment required
Please visit the Winchester Public Schools website to apply online at www.winchesterpublicschools.org Be sure to attach your cover letter, resume, and three recent references. Fingerprinting is required and completed at EdAdvance in Litchfield, CT, and you must pass background checks.
Process and Interviews convened by the Principal/Superintendent.