JobID 472 : Custodian (Pool) (#1947966)
Job Title: Custodian Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Lead Custodian/Principal Pay Grade: 01
Works with: Students/Personnel Days: 187/260
Dept. /School: Assigned Campus
- None specified
- Ability to read and understand instructions for cleaning, maintenance, and safety procedures
- Knowledge of minor repair techniques and building and grounds maintenance
- Ability to operate cleaning equipment and lift heavy equipment
- Ability to properly handle cleaning supplies
- Ability to carry out directives from supervisor
- Ability to report to work on time
- Must be able to understand instructions and communicate in basic English
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
Major Responsibilities and Duties:1. Keeps the building clean, sanitary and comfortable during duty hours.
2. Sets up tables and equipment for meetings or assemblies as required.
3. Improves the appearance of buildings by keeping them clean and orderly.
4. Keeps department building and grounds, including sidewalk, driveways, and parking lots, neat and clean.
5. Follows procedures for locking, checking and safe guarding facilities.
6. Helps prevent property loss that may be caused by abuse, freezing, neglect or careless usage.
7. Economize by turning off all utilities when not needed, and practices preventive maintenance.
8. Keeps floor clean, waxed, and buffed as scheduled.
9. Keeps restroom fixtures, hardware, tile, mirrors, etc. clean and replenishes supplies as needed.
10. Cleans door facings and washes windows as scheduled.
11. Attends custodial training and/or in-service sessions.
12. Reports any damage or maintenance needs to proper authority.
13. Keeps light bulbs and tubes replaced.
14. Follows daily duty schedule as assigned by head custodian.
15. Operates tools and equipment according to established safety procedures.
16. Follows established safety procedures to perform job duties.
17. Moves furniture or equipment as required.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Tools/Equipment Used: Buffer, stripper, wet and dry vacuum cleaner, electric drill, hand tools, shampooer
Posture: Ability to stand, walk, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, pull, push, and reach
Motion: Repetitive hand motions, hear, speak, and maintain visual activity
Lifting: Occasional lifting and carrying (45 pounds or more)
Environment: May work prolonged or irregular hours; inside/outside extreme temperatures, work on slippery or uneven surfaces, biological exposure (insects, molds, fungi, bacteria, animals, plants, chemical exposure (fumes, vapors, gases, dusts, smoke, etc.) sunlight exposure, works with hands in water, works around machines with moving parts, may work alone, and may experience fatigue factors
Mental Demands: Work with frequent interruptions; maintain emotional control under stress