JobID 1092 : English Learner Tutor 6-8 (Anticipated) (#1947642)
Anticipated Middle School (Grades: 6-8), Hourly Position. 12 hours per week (Hours and days to be determined.) No Benefits. Working with students who are English Learners. Prefer candidate who is proficient in Spanish.
- Minimum of two years of college coursework.
- Appreciation for and sensitivity to other languages and cultures.
- Experience as the Board of Education and Administration may find appropriate and acceptable.
REPORTS TO: Director of Teaching and Learning
JOB GOAL: The ESL Tutor provides a program of instruction for eligible children whose dominant language is not English and whose proficiency in English is not sufficient to assure equal educational opportunity in the regular school program in which they are placed.
- Administer the Language Acquisition Scale (LAS) and other diagnostic screenings to determine entry, exit, or progress-monitoring of students eligible for the ESL program, and determine appropriate program placement based on results.
- Collaborate regularly with the Supervisor of Reading and Language Arts to review students’ progress and to address any other ESL program concerns.
- Instruct ESL students in the acquisition of reading and writing skills found in basic conversational and academic English.
- Provide assistance to ESL students with their specific academic assignments.
- Develop appropriate individualized instruction for each ESL student.
- Advocate for ESL students through regular communication with Classroom Teachers and administration.
- Prepare and submit student progress reports at regularly scheduled intervals to parents, teachers, and administration.
- Participate in professional development activities designed to continuously develop the skills of ESL Tutors.
- Attend Planning and Placement team meetings, parent conferences, or other meetings regarding the ESL student’s progress, as appropriate.
- Collaborate with the Classroom Teacher regarding appropriate instructional strategies and modifications for ESL students.
- Communicate special school-community events to students and parents.
- Complete the ESL data sheets and LAS Links Testing required by the Connecticut State Department of Education.
- Participate in the decisions regarding the selection of instructional materials for ESL students.
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT: To be determined annually