JobID 578 : Music Teacher (Grades 4-8) (#1943012)
Posted 4 months ago
- Valid New Jersey Instructional Certificate and Subject Area Endorsement or eligibility
- Demonstrated knowledge of subject specialty and effective teaching methods
- Ability to maintain a positive learning environment
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Required criminal history background check and proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status
REPORTS TO: School Director
SUPERVISES: Pupils, and when assigned, student teachers and classroom aides
To provide an approved education program and establish a class environment that fosters learning and personal growth; to help pupils to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to provide a good foundation for continued education; and to maintain good relationships with parents and other staff members.
Class management and instruction
- Works to achieve state core curriculum content standards and charter school educational goals and objectives by promoting active learning and skills development in the classroom. Teaches pupils through an approved course of study using board-adopted curricula, textbooks and other appropriate teaching materials.
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials and provides opportunities for individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each pupil.
- Sets specific objectives wherever possible in lesson preparation and weekly lesson plans and carries through presentation to effectively achieve these objectives.
- Assesses pupil academic progress and personal growth toward stated objectives of instruction.
- Maintains records of pupil's educational progress in class record books and/or board approved forms and summarizes these marks for reporting purposes.
- Identifies pupil needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and resolving learning problems.
- Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to achieve a music classroom climate conducive to learning.
- Budgets class time effectively.
- Communicates with parents through conferences and other means to inform them about the school music program and to discuss pupil progress.
- Devises written and oral assignments and tests that require analytical and critical thinking as well as the reproduction of facts.
- Supervises pupils in out-of-classroom activities as assigned.
- Works with students to leave the music practice area clean at the end of class time.
Meetings and professional development
- Maintains professional competence and continuous improvement through inservice education and other professional growth activities.
- Participates in school-level planning, faculty meetings/committees and other school system groups.
- Makes effective use of community resources to enhance the instructional program.
- Upholds and enforces school rules, administrative regulations and board policy.
- Fulfills the following duties specific to music instruction:
- Instruct pupils in music appreciation and the fundamentals of performing music for an audience;
- Prepare participatory lesson plans and establish course goals including music appreciation and performance of songs, both vocal and instrumental;
- Select instruments and other materials for courses;
- Demonstrate method and procedure to pupils;
- Observe and evaluate pupils' work to determine student progress or to make suggestions for improvement;
- Accompany pupils on field trips to musical presentations;
- Instruct pupils to take “virtual trips” to concert halls or musical presentations, via internet;
- Specialize in teaching one or more types of music, such as group choral;
- Direct planning and supervision of student contests and arranging of art exhibits.
- Work closely with the phys ed instructor for rehearsals and performances of song and dance arrangements for presentation on stage.
- Determine the individual musical strengths of individual students and assigns roles in concerts and stage musical performances that develop and showcase these talents.
- Assist with videotaping of performances. Serve as master-of-ceremonies at musical presentations to school audiences.
- Make recommendations for improvements to musical presentations.
- Make recommendations for possible new concerts, songs and stage productions.
- Performs other duties within the scope of his/her employment and certification as may be assigned.