JobID 6439 : Principal Pool for the 2020-2021 School Year (#1941993)
Process for Applying:
2 Letters of Professional Reference (within the last year)
Copy of Certification or Proof of Credentials
The Principal is responsible for the effective management of programs, personnel, materials, and facilities in order to develop an optimum learning climate for the unique needs of a particular school site. He/she shall direct the operation of the school in accordance with policies established by the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education of the State of Louisiana, the State Department of Education, and the Board of Education of East Baton Rouge Parish. He/she has the primary responsibility to provide an educational program which is responsive to student needs; while at the same time, addresses the goals and objectives of the district and the school. The Principal shall plan, implement, monitor, and evaluate functions of the overall management and leadership of the school. He/she shall be responsible for the school’s operation within the financial limitations of the district and site.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Works collaboratively with the school community to develop and maintain a shared school vision.
- Brings the school vision to life by using it to guide decision-making about students and the instructional program.
- Maintains faculty focus on developing learning experiences that will enable students to prosper in subsequent grades and as adults.
- Maintains open communication with the school community and effectively conveys high expectations for student learning to the community.
- Provides opportunities and support for collaboration, the exchange of ideas, experimentation with innovative teaching strategies, and ongoing school improvement.
- Monitors, assesses, and revises the school vision and goals as needed.
- Fosters the integration of students into mainstream society while valuing diversity.
TEACHING AND LEARNING
- Recognizes, models, and promotes effective teaching strategies that enable students to apply what they learn to real world experiences.
- Encourages and supports the use of both innovative, research-based teaching strategies to engage students actively in solving complex problems and methods of student assessment which will enhance learning for all students.
- Conducts frequent classroom visits and periodic observations, provides constructive feedback to faculty and staff, and suggests models of effective teaching techniques when needed.
- Fosters a caring, growth-oriented environment for faculty and students, one in which high
- Promotes collaboration and team building among faculty.
- Maintains a safe, secure, clean, and aesthetically pleasing physical school plant.
- Establishes and/or implements laws, policies, regulations, and procedures that promote effective
- Maintains a positive school environment where proper student discipline is the norm.
- Manages fiscal resources responsibly, efficiently, and effectively and monitors whether others do so as well.
- Manages human resources responsibly by selecting and inducting new personnel appropriately
- Assigning and evaluating all staff effectively and taking other appropriate steps to build an effective school staff
- Monitors support services such as transportation, food, health, and extended care responsibly.
- Provides and coordinates appropriate co-curricular and extra-curricular activities.
- Uses shared decision making effectively in the management of the school.
- Manages time and delegates appropriate administrative tasks to maximize attainment of school goals.
- Uses available technology to manage school operations.
- Monitors and evaluates school operations and uses feedback appropriately to enhance effectiveness.
- Provides ongoing opportunities for staff to reflect on their roles and practices in light of student standards and school goals.
- Grows professionally by engaging in professional development activities and making such activities available to others.
- Facilitates school-based research and uses these and other research findings to
- Fosters the genuine continuous involvement and commitment of the school community in promoting the progress of all students toward attaining high standards.
- Enhances school effectiveness by appropriately integrating the processes of teacher selection/evaluation and professional development with school improvement.
- Communicates a focused vision for both school and individual professional growth.
- Uses research and data from multiple sources to design and implement professional development activities.
- Secures the necessary resources for meaningful professional growth, including the time for planning and the use of emerging technologies.
- Provides opportunities for individual and collaborative professional development.
- Provides incentives for learning and growth and encourages participation in professional development activities at the national, state, and parish levels.
- Assesses the overall impact of professional development activities on the improvement of teaching and student learning.
SCHOOL COMMUNITY RELATIONS
- Is visible and involved in the community and treats members of the school community
- Involves the school in the community while keeping the school community informed.
- Uses school-community resources to enhance the quality of school programs, including those resources available through business and industry.
- Recognizes and celebrates school successes publicly.
- Communicates effectively, both interpersonally and through the media.
- Models ethical behavior at both the school and community levels.
- Communicates to others expectations of ethical behavior.
- Respects the rights and dignity of others.
- Provides accurate information without distortion and without violating the rights of others.
- Develops a caring school environment in collaboration with faculty and staff.
- Applies laws, policies, regulations, and procedures fairly, consistently, wisely, and compassionately.
- Minimizes bias in self and others and accepts responsibility for his or her own decisions and actions.
- Addresses unethical behavior in self and others.
- Supervises all personnel assigned to the school.
- Maintains a visible and accessible presence in the school.
- Protects instructional time when scheduling events and communication efforts.
- Ensures that school facilities are conducive to a positive school environment.
- Assumes responsibility for all physical properties assigned to the school.
- Plans, prepares, and distributes student and faculty handbooks.
- Cooperates with community agencies whose purpose relates to the health, safety, and welfare of students.
- Assumes responsibility for graduation and/or closing of school activities.
Qualifications: The applicant will meet the legal requirements for principals in Louisiana and possess a Master’s and/or Advanced Degree in educational administration or possess the required endorsements of Louisiana Department of Education (LDE) to lead a school. The applicant will perform administrative tasks which promotes an exemplary educational program.
The East Baton Rouge Parish School System and all of its entities (including Career and Technical Education Programs) does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, national origin, disability or gender in its educational programs and activities (including employment and application for employment), and it is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of gender by Title IX (20 USC 168) and on the basis of disability by Section 504 (42 USC 794). The Title IX Coordinator is Andrew Davis (ADavis6@ebrschools.org), Director of Risk Management - phone (225)929-8705; and the Director of Exceptional Student Services is Elizabeth Taylor Chapman (ETaylor@ebrschools.org) – phone (225)929-8600.