JobID 1586 : Paraprofessional Special Education (#1938202)
Job | Posted 5 months ago
MONTCLAIR PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Montclair, New Jersey
Montclair, New Jersey
TITLE: Paraprofessional, Instructional Paraprofessional; or
Special Education with Curriculum Support
- NJ: Substitute Teacher , CEAS, CE, or NJ Standard Certificate required.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others.
- Knowledge of child growth and development and appropriate classroom practices preferred.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work on site during the hours required.
- Required criminal history background check and proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status.
Reports To: Principal/Classroom Teacher
General Duties and Job Goals: To assist the classroom teacher by working with individual and/or small groups of disabled or non-disabled students to provide them with physical help and emotional support as needed to gain optimum benefit from the district's education program. Paraprofessionals will assist in the supervision, safety and instructional support of classroom and student activities as a collaborative team member under the direction of the certified personnel.
- Assists the classroom teacher in the delivery of an effective instructional program.
- Works with individual or small groups of students to reinforce learning of material or skills introduced by the teacher.
- Operates and cares for equipment used in the classroom for instructional purposes.
- Helps students master equipment or instructional materials assigned by teacher.
- Engages children in conversation to encourage language development.
- Distributes and collects workbooks, papers, and other materials for instruction.
- Guides independent study, enrichment work, and remedial work assigned and developed by the teacher.
- Assists with the supervision of students during non-instructional times; i.e. drills assemblies, play periods, and field trips.
- Helps the teacher to plan and maintain bulletin board and other classroom learning displays.
- Reads to students, listens to students read, and participates in other forms of oral communication with students.
- Checks notebooks, corrects papers, and supervises testing and make-up work, as assigned by the teacher.
- Performs clerical duties related to the instructional program including attendance reports, collection of money, duplication of materials, and distribution and return of notices to home.
- Assists pupils with various projects, crafts, and curriculum tasks.
- Provide services which conform to district objectives, board policies, administrative directions and state laws/regulations.
- Helps students when needed with their clothing, snack time routines, and, when required, toileting activities.
- Helps students with behavioral challenges to successfully participate in classroom, social and home activities.
- Participates in in-service training as assigned.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
In conjunction with the above:
- Assists in taking care of the physical and emotional needs of the special education pupil, including but not limited to putting on and taking off outerwear, moving from room to room and using the lavatory.
- Assists, where appropriate, in loading and unloading the special education pupil from transportation buses or vans.
- Assists children with physical disabilities, particularly those who rely upon appliances, prosthetics or assistive technologies.
- Promote the attainment of students' educational goals and learning objectives by providing supplemental services which assist the student(s) and classroom teacher(s) in delivering, modifying and adapting materials and access for the students assigned.
- Assists in delivering services required by the IEP.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Salary and work year to be determined by the board of education and the terms of any collective bargaining agreement representing the position.
EVALUATION: Annually in accordance with the board's policy on evaluation of non-certified staff.
REVISED: 2002, 2006, 2011
Montclair School District
22 Valley Rd., Montclair, NJ 07042
Compare with State
Amount per Student
State Average: $19,422 (USD)
% ELL Students
State Average: 5%
Student Teacher Ratio
State Average: 12.25
% IEP Students
State Average: 16%
State Average: 345