POLYTECH School District is seeking energetic and motivated candidates with strong interpersonal skills to join our high school team. As a substitute teacher, you will have the opportunity to provide instruction to high school students across a variety of classroom settings. Substitute teachers enjoy a flexible schedule, with the option of accepting assignments based on availability and personal preferences.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Effectively manage a classroom of students by keeping students on task and dealing with any behavioral issues.
- Maintain complete and accurate student attendance records.
- Follow lesson plans left by the regular classroom teacher.
- Supervise and ensure safety of students during classroom hours.
- Clean up and straighten the classroom at the end of the assignment.
- Leave feedback and notes for the regular classroom teacher.
- Comply with federal and state regulations and district policies.
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: High school diploma (some college preferred).
Licensure and Certification: prefer candidates who are eligible for or who hold current Delaware teacher licensure and certification.
- Experience teaching or interacting with high school students.
- Minimum of three years’ teaching experience.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Behaviors:
- Be available on an on-call basis to accept daily, weekly and/or long-term opportunities.
- Follow through with accepted assignments and arrive on time.
- Schedule work availability and accept assignments through the Frontline Absence Management system (online).
- Flexible, friendly and able to establish quick rapport with students.
- Foster a stimulating and accepting learning environment.
- Write, speak, and interact clearly and professionally.
- Perform effectively in environments with competing demands.
Terms of Employment:
- This is flexible, part-time position.
- This position reports to the Assistant Principal responsible for substitute teachers
- Successful completion of Criminal Background Check, TB Test, and Child Protection Registry Clearance must be completed prior to start of employment (district will reimburse Criminal Background Check costs).
- Salary is calculated in accordance with the state’s Substitute Teacher Salary Scale (14 Del. C. §1326):
- Class A. — A substitute teacher who holds or is eligible to hold a valid Delaware educator license or valid educator license from another state; or such a license that has expired shall be paid $110 per day.
- Class B. — A substitute teacher who holds a bachelor's degree or is a student currently enrolled in an accredited institution of higher education, who has earned at least 60 credits, and is enrolled in a program that will culminate in the student becoming eligible for a teaching license in the State of Delaware shall be paid $88 per day.
- Class C. — A substitute teacher who does not meet the requirements for Class A or Class B classification shall be paid $70 per day.
- Direct deposit of payroll checks is mandatory and employees are paid on a lag pay schedule with the first payment made after approximately one month of employment.
All applicants must complete the online application and upload a letter of interest and resume or curriculum vitae.
External applicants must use the external application and upload three (3) letters of professional reference that are dated within the last year or the application will be considered incomplete. In addition to 3 letters of reference, the last 3 most recent employers may be contacted before an offer of employment is extended.
Current POLYTECH employees should use the online Internal Application and designate three (3) professional references and provide contact information.
The POLYTECH School District does not discriminate in employment, educational programs, services or activities on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), national origin, citizenship or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or gender identity, against victims of domestic violence, sexual offenses, or stalking, or upon any other categories protected by federal, state, or local law. The Director of Personnel and Student Supports has been designated to handle inquiries regarding employment policies, Special Education, English Learners, and Section 504 inquiries. The Supervisor of Student Services responds to Title VI/Title IX inquiries. All staff can be reached at (302) 697-2170; POLYTECH School District, 823 Walnut Shade Road, Woodside, DE 19980.