Teacher of Students with Autism (#173450)
BASIC FUNCTION/NATURE OF WORK: The special education teacher’s function is to develop and implement effective instructional practices based on the needs identified in students’ Individualized Education Programs (IEPs). The teacher will develop, implement and monitor the students’ Individualized Education Programs in collaboration with parents and other IEP Team members. The teacher will promote a collaborative relationship with school staff and parents that will foster inclusionary practices.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES/ILLUSTRATIVE EX OF WORK: 1. The duties and responsibilities of a special education teacher shall include the responsibilities of teachers as listed in Prince William County Public Schools Regulation 561.01-1, Certificated Personnel Responsibilities and Duties. 2. The teacher shall have knowledge of and adhere to federal, state and local laws and regulations governing the education of students with disabilities.
3. Develop Individualized Education Programs (IEPs), plan curriculum, develop individualized lesson plans and prepare instructional materials that reflect understanding of the learning styles and needs of assigned students, considering the Virginia Standards of Learning, local requirements and physical, emotional, and academic levels of development.
4. Instruct students in all areas specified by the IEP.
5. Develop and implement a variety of effective teaching strategies and techniques; i.e., hands-on, student interaction, lecture, group work, etc., to present instructional content to the students.
6. Plan, integrate and utilize technology for classroom instruction.
7. Utilize assistive technology and specialized equipment.
8. Work with students to increase motivation, provide consistent reinforcement to learning, continuous assessment of level of functioning, and continuous feedback to students for all learning activities.
9. Develop and implement a plan for managing classroom behaviors in accordance with IEP using a variety of positive behavioral supports.
10. Participate in the development and implementation of Behavioral Intervention Plans using the Functional Behavior Assessment process.
11. Administer, interpret, and report standardized test results for purposes of evaluating educational progress and determining eligibility for special education.
12. Participate in staff, department and special education committee meetings as required.
13. Maintain a system of record keeping and data collection following required procedures as outlined in the Special Education Manual.
14. Compile and maintain special education component of Student Education Record as outlined in the Special Education Manual.
15. Complete Prince William County Public Schools’ 30-hour staff development requirement.
16. Participate in specialized staff development activities to improve job related skills and apply “best practices” in working with students with disabilities.
17. In a co-teaching situation, collaborate with general education classroom teacher to assess program effectiveness, recommend instructional strategies, ensure implementation of student’s required accommodations and/or modifications, provide curriculum coordination between general and special education, and evaluate the student’s educational progress.
18. Consult with general education teacher regarding instructional and behavioral strategies for assigned students in general education classes.
19. Inform general education teachers of accommodations and modifications required by the students’ IEPs.
20. Plan and supervise assignments for teacher assistant(s) and/or other volunteer(s).
21. Perform other duties within the limits of special education regulation as assigned by the Principal.