On-Call Language Services Specialist - District Wide
On-Call Language Services Specialist
For specific information please contact Jackie Johnston at firstname.lastname@example.org
Job Summary: Provide interpreting and translation services for ECCS School District staff and families.
Essential Duties and Responsibiltiies:
- Facilitate effective communication between two parties that do not speak a similar language by converting one spoken or written language to another.
- Interpret and translate documents for district staff.
- Employ cultural sensitivity, tact, and etiquette when interpreting between cultures.
- Assist English Language Learner (ELL), Special Education and Community Education families to communicate with teachers and schools, and to access district programs and services, by interpreting at meetings, conferences, and other school events, and through phone calls and home visits, when needed. Attend conferences and meetings and act as official translator to facilitate discussion.
- Assist district staff with phone calls and other contacts with families.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with staff, parents, and students, and interact in a manner that models intercultural sensitivity and respect.
- Employ confidentiality and professional neutrality while interpreting; utilize respectful communication skills and cooperative behavior.
- Follow ethical codes that protect the confidentiality of information.
- Provide follow-up and confirmation when meetings are scheduled with staff and/or parents.
- Knowledge and understanding of National Interpreter Standards.
- Oral and written proficiency in English and designated second language.
- Cultural fluency in U.S. educational systems.
- Excellent cross-cultural communication skills.
- Communication and problem solving skills.
- Ability to set priorities, organize tasks, follow directions, and be flexible and patient.
- Manage work schedules to meet deadlines
- Considerable ability to deal courteously with the public, supplying general information and direction in a clear, concise manner.
- ATA Certification or equivalent
- Three to five years of experience as an interpreter or translator preferred
Background check will be conducted.
To Apply: Please complete this form and return it to Jackie Johnston, Community Education Director, at email@example.com