Vehicle Driver/Vehicle Assistant - FT/PT
Position Title: Vehicle Driver (Van Driver, CDL Driver)
Labor Relationship: ESPA
Date Revised: 05/20/1998; 08/27/2007; 02/24/2009; 03/2011; 07/2015; 10/2016
Position Definition: The Vehicle Driver shall have the primary responsibility for providing safe, timely, and courteous transportation to students.
Relationship: The Vehicle Driver will be directly responsible to the Transportation Supervisor.
- Excellent driving record.
- Experience with transporting students, preferred.
- Valid driver’s license, required.
- Demonstrates the ability to follow directions and possesses navigational skills.
- Demonstrates the ability to use time management, allowing for the efficient transportation of students.
- Demonstrates the ability to follow and implement D.O.T. safe driving requirements.
- Demonstrates the ability to understand and comply with all state and local transportation laws and regulations.
- Possesses the ability to utilize technology effectively, including, but not limited to, internet and email.
- Demonstrates the ability to work in a team environment.
- Demonstrates the ability to maintain complete confidentiality.
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills, demonstrated by patience, understanding, and congeniality.
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Attends work regularly at assigned work hours subject to lawful leave rights and responsibilities.
- Proficient data collection and entry skills.
- Demonstrates the skills to provide the highest level of customer service, with patience and knowledge of the department’s services.
- Must be able to physically assist students entering and exiting the vehicle.
- Ability to stand, bend, stoop, sit, lift, reach, and communicate (vision, hearing, and speech) to effectively carry out functions, duties, and responsibilities.
- Ability to independently ambulate in and around work areas.
- Ability to travel to and from assigned work locations without employer support.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time (3 hours).
- Ability to exhibit appropriate manual dexterity to effectively carry out functions, duties, and responsibilities.
- Must be able to push and pull wheelchairs safely and attach wheelchairs safely to vehicles for transportation to and from assigned schools.
Authority: The Vehicle Driver will have the authority to perform all functions listed below in accordance with established policies and procedures.
Functions/Duties/Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function/duty/responsibility at acceptable standards. In accordance with both state and/or federal law, reasonable accommodations will be considered upon employee request.
- Responsible for the coordination of transportation and driving to and from assigned schools in a timely, safe, and effective manner.
- Performs minor maintenance, such as adding oil, antifreeze, and brake fluid to vehicles as needed.
- Conducts regular inspections (pre-trip/post trip inspection) on vehicle.
- Picks up and discharges students at the designated times and locations.
- Instructs students in safe practices and supervises conduct.
- Maintains a clean school vehicle.
- Completes reports and paperwork required by the Transportation Department accurately and by given timelines.
- Responsible for reporting unsafe conduct on vehicle by completing an incident report and following the department procedures on an as needed basis.
- Responsible for reporting vehicle accidents by completing an accident form and following department procedures.
- Cordially greets students upon arrival at vehicle.
- Courteous to parents, students, and classroom staff.
- This Job Description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to perform other duties as assigned.