Certified School Nurse
This individual is under the general supervision of the Director of Special Services and the Principal of the assigned building(s).
The Certified School Nurse is responsible for assessing the health needs of students; developing emergency care plans and individual health plans incorporating input from parent and/or physician; complying with the laws relating to student health, including parental and guardian consent; providing appropriate care for ill, medically fragile and/or injured students; providing health information and serving as a resource to teachers, staff and administrators; and identifying health problems for referral for proper treatment.
- Professional Educator’s License with a School Nurse Endorsement
- Certified in CPR
- Maintain confidentiality
- Ability to travel within the district buildings as necessary
- Be able to bend, stoop, and lift up to 50 pounds when necessary
- Comply with all state rules and regulations, Board of Education policy, and administrative procedures
- Administers first aid, medication and specialized medical treatments for the purpose of providing appropriate care for ill, medically fragile and/or injured children in Accordance with State laws and District policies
- Assesses situations involving students’ safety, abuse (physical, sexual, drug, etc.) and other health related issues for the purpose of identifying problems, referring for proper treatment and complying with legal requirements.
- Comply with all of the requirements regarding reports, record keeping, etc. in a timely manner
- Complete all of the District’s requirements regarding procedures for referred students
- Maintain and be accountable for equipment and inventory, including safety issues and proper working order
- Communicates results of evaluations and reports of student’s health needs to the educational staff, parents, students, and, when appropriate, other agencies concerned with the students
- Attend IEP, department and other meetings as assigned or requested
- Facilitate in-service education and professional development as requested
- Provide consultation to the staff regarding student needs, professional needs, and classroom/building needs in order to achieve targeted goals and objectives
- Utilizes local, state, and federal resources/services to benefit student.
- Provide reassessment of students, focusing on areas of needs, at intervals determined to be educationally relevant
- Proficiently implement technology to enhance and provide access to students’ instructional programs, communicate, collect and analyze data, and compile reports.
- Provides services at multiple work sites for the purpose of providing direct therapy interventions and assistance as required
- Establishes and maintains a positive and safe therapeutic or educational environment for students
- Communicate the needs of student health services to the appropriate administrator(s)
- Review self-performance and seeks appropriate guidance and consultation
- Remain abreast of professional developments in field
- Perform other duties as assigned by building and/or district administration