1st Shift Custodian
JOB TITLE: 1st Shift Custodian/CHS Custodian II
The job of Custodian II is done for the purpose/s of maintaining an attractive, sanitary and safe facility; providing adequate arrangements for meetings, classroom activities and events; and minimizing property damage, loss and liability exposure.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Arranges furnishings and equipment for the purpose of providing adequate preparations for meetings, classroom activities and events (i.e., regular school, community education, special events).
- Cleans school facilities (i.e., classrooms, offices, multipurpose rooms, grounds, windows, restrooms, sinks, carpets, floors, garbage cans, wastebaskets, gym, cafeteria, and other areas as directed by principal or head custodian) for the purpose of maintaining a sanitary, safe and attractive environment.
- Delivers variety of items (e.g., supplies, mail, packages, furniture) for the purpose of distributing the materials to the appropriate parties.
- Informs principal, supervisor, other site personnel and students for the purpose of providing information regarding activities, safety and/or proper maintenance of facilities.
- Secures facilities and grounds for the purpose of minimizing property damage, loss and liability and ensuring safety at work site (i.e., unlock and lock doors, secure gates, check windows, turn light off/on; operate heating plant and equipment).
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Repairs furniture, equipment and minor building damage for the purpose of ensuring that items are available and in safe working condition.
- Requests equipment and supplies through the principal or supervisor for the purpose of maintaining inventory and ensuring availability of items as needed to properly maintain facilities.
- Maintains ground and operates equipment as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB REQUIREMENTS-QUALIFICATIONS:
1. New hires from outside the school district must have a qualifying score from the Custodian Civil Service Test.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND/OR ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Skills to use cleaning agents; supplies and equipment; perform basic math to calculate accurate dilution of cleaning agents.
- Knowledge of methods and use of cleaning materials, equipment, and supplies, safe work practices.
- Abilities to stand for prolonged periods, follow oral and written instructions, adhere to flexible assignments often with short notice, and communicate with students, staff and parents. Significant physical abilities include lifting/carrying/pushing/pulling/stooping, reading/handling, hear/far visual acuity/depth perception.
EDUCATION REQUIRED: High school diploma or equivalent.
Review: This job description will be reviewed annually or bi-annually prior to March 31 of current year.
This job description in no manner states or implies these are the only duties, functions, and responsibilities to be performed by the position incumbent. The incumbent will be required to follow the instructions and perform the duties required by the incumbent’s supervisor, appointing authority, or designee.