Position: School Social Worker
Supervisor: Director of Exceptional Programs
Work Site: Districtwide
General Job Description:
Provide school social work services for students receiving special education as a related service. Provide counseling, case management, school staff consultation and serve on the Individual Educational Program (IEP) team member when appropriate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare social and developmental histories on students being evaluated for special education services as requested by Student Assistance or IEP teams.
- Participate in IEP and staff meetings when school social work services are included in the IEP.
- Work with community agencies to coordinate services for students and families.
- Provide group and individual counseling with children and their families in accordance with their IEP’s.
- Follow methods of school social work practice appropriate to identify concerns, including direct services and program development.
- Provide family assessments, crisis intervention, group, individual counseling, referral services and other information.
- Establish and maintain relationships with other school staff, community agencies, students and their families.
- Participate in multi-disciplinary team meetings related to educational planning and progress of identified students in Special Education.
- Ensure parent participation in the student’s educational placement through home visits and other outreach activities.
- Establish and maintain communication with parents regarding student academic, social and behavioral progress.
- Maintain contact with teachers, administrators and other school personnel.
- Develop and provide in-service programs, as requested, for school, district staff and the community.
- Act as a case manager and coordinate efforts, as appropriate, for the management of individual and group cases.
- Comply with all Board of Education policies, administrative regulations, Public Education Department guidelines, the National Association of Social Workers Code of Ethics and local, state and federal laws.
- Maintain confidentiality of privileged information.
- Prepare and maintain records and reports as required by law, state directive, district policy and administrative regulations.
- Comply with all Board of Education policies, administrative regulations, Public Education Department guidelines and local, state and federal laws.
- Perform other job responsibilities as assigned.
- Masters Degree
- New Mexico Department of Education license in Social Work (601 License)
- Current New Mexico Board of Social Work Examiners license
- Knowledge of Navajo Tribal and State Laws
- Navajo-speaking preferred
- Interpersonal skills with diverse populations, in-person and on the phone
- Alternatives to the above qualifications as the Superintendent may find appropriate and acceptable
Standing, sitting, walking, lifting, carrying up to 50 pounds, climbing, bending, reaching, kneeling, driving a vehicle, traveling long distances, writing, typing, word processing, reading, researching information, effective communication skills and moving light furniture may be required.
Safety and Health:
- Knowledge of universal hygiene precautions
- Knowledge of district policies on immunization, medication, first aid, emergencies and child abuse/neglect.
- Background Check
- Multimedia equipment, including current technology
- Materials relevant to job responsibilities
- Motor vehicle if necessary and current driver’s license
- Current defensive driving certificate
- Various degrees of noise, temperature and air quality
- Work interruptions
- Completion of job assignments without direct supervision
- Completion of applications and assignments within the timeframes allowed
- Weekend and after hour work may be required
Term of Employment:
- Prompt and consistent attendance is an essential requirement of this postion
- 187 days annually
- One year contract
My signature signifies that if selected for the position:
- I have reviewed the contents of the job description and I am aware of the expectations of the position.
- The job description is meant as a guideline and, in the absence of specific direction, I understand that I must make reasonable decisions and must at on those decisions to ensure that the District, school and department goals are met.
- I understand that I will be evaluated in accordance with the District’s evaluation guidelines and the job description will be included in the evaluation process.
- I am able to perform all the essential functions of the job
¨ without accommodations.
¨ with accommodations (please specify below)
Employee’s Signature Date