Contracted School Guidance Counselor
Position Definition: The School Guidance Counselor shall provide guidance services for students attending nonpublic schools and consultative services for staff through instructional strategies, collaborative teaming, and other supports to provide a learning environment conducive to positive student development.
Relationship: The School Guidance Counselor shall be directly responsible to the Supervisor of Special Programs and Services and shall report to him/her in all matters concerning assigned Nonpublic School functions and other CLIU business.
- PDE Certification in School Counseling–Guidance Counselor, Elementary School Counselor, Secondary School Counselor, Elementary and Secondary School Counselor (PK-12).
- Demonstrates a proficient understanding and utilization of Microsoft Office Suite and other software packages for use in the Special Program and Services Department.
- Demonstrates the ability to work collaboratively with external and internal stakeholders.
- Demonstrates the ability to maintain complete confidentiality.
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills, demonstrated by patience, understanding, and congeniality.
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates the ability to organize, plan, and manage job responsibilities in order to complete assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrates the ability to implement and comply with the PA Individual Education Program process.
- Demonstrates the ability to prioritize assigned tasks.
- Completes tasks with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrates the ability to work independently and maintain departmental deadlines.
- Demonstrates the ability to make professional decisions.
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Maintains current knowledge of programs/services and other related services.
- Demonstrates philosophy of lifelong learning.
- Possesses the skills to provide the highest level of customer service, with patience and knowledge of the Department’s services.
- Ability to attend work regularly at assigned work hours subject to lawful leave rights and responsibilities.
- Ability to stand, bend, stoop, sit, lift, reach, communicate (vision, hearing, and speech), and carry or convey sufficient weight to safely and effectively carry out functions, duties, and responsibilities.
- Ability to independently ambulate in and around work areas.
- Ability to travel to and from assigned work locations without employer support.
- Ability to travel on and/or drive a CLIU vehicle.
- Ability to exhibit appropriate manual dexterity to effectively carry out functions, duties, and responsibilities.
Authority: The School Guidance Counselor will have the authority to perform all functions listed below in accordance with established policies and procedures.
Functions/Duties/Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function/duty/responsibility at acceptable standards. In accordance with both state and/or federal law, reasonable accommodations will be considered upon employee request.
- Applies knowledge of career development, including curriculum, testing, and resources when servicing students at the elementary and secondary level.
- Applies knowledge of child and adolescent growth and development.
- Provides individual and small group guidance counseling.
- Provides classroom guidance instruction.
- Processes referrals made by administration, staff, or parents concerning student needs, including academic or discipline difficulties.
- Coordinates referrals to outside agencies and/or resources.
- Maintains student records of activities.
- Collaborates with staff and students to implement positive strategies to foster success.
- Assists with student preparation for testing career development and school processes necessary for college application when servicing students at the secondary level.
- Communicates with other guidance staff and building level administration to streamline services provided to students, staff, and parents.
- Collaborates with staff in reinforcing child and adolescent development through workshops and/or consultation.
- Participates on CLIU and building level committees and departmental projects.
- Maintains current knowledge base regarding educational issues by participating in professional development activities.
- This Position Description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to perform other duties as assigned.