Outpatient Therapist (Bachelor's)
Position Title: Outpatient Therapist (Bachelor's Level)
Assignment: Provider 29 Services
Department: Special Programs and Services
Labor Relationship: Contracted
Date Originated: 02/27/98
Date Revised: 02/27/98, 10/20/2010, 02/2014
Position Definition: The person filling this position will provide individual, group and/or family therapy in the outpatient clinic setting.
Relationship: The Outpatient Therapist (Bachelor's Level) shall be directly responsible to the Behavioral Health Services Supervisor.
- Bachelor's degree, in mental health field, required.
- Minimum 5 years' experience in mental health counseling, required.
- Crisis Prevention Intervention, certification required.
- Demonstrates the ability to evaluate, counsel, and work with clients and families.
- Demonstrates the ability to write positive, goal-directed, strength-based behavior intervention plans.
- Effectively utilizes knowledge of psychopharmacology.
- Demonstrates the ability to work with limited resource population.
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates the ability to work effectively and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Proficiently utilizes Microsoft Office Suite and departmental software.
- Demonstrates organizational skills and time management skills providing for productivity, accuracy, and attention to detail in the carrying out of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities, with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrates ability to multi-task within deadlines.
- Possesses excellent interpersonal skills demonstrated by patience, understanding, and congeniality.
- Completes tasks with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Maintains complete confidentiality.
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Demonstrates the skills to provide the highest level of customer service with patience and knowledge of the Provider 50 Department to clients and families.
- Demonstrates the ability to make professional decisions.
- Attends work regularly at assigned work hours subject to lawful leave rights and responsibilities.
- Ability to stand, bend, stoop, sit, lift, reach, communicate (vision, hearing, and speech), carry, or convey sufficient weight to safely and effectively carry out functions, duties, and responsibilities.
- Ability to independently ambulate in and around work locations.
- Ability to travel to and from assigned work locations without employer support.
- Ability to exhibit good manual dexterity to effectively carry out function, duties, and responsibilities.
- Speaking and hearing ability sufficient to communicate effectively by phone or in person at normal volumes.
- Vision adequate to read correspondence, computer screen, forms, etc.
Authority:The Outpatient Therapist (Bachelor's Level) will have the authority to perform all functions listed below in accordance with established policies and procedures.
Functions/Duties/Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function/duty/responsibility at acceptable standards. In accordance with both state and/or federal law, reasonable accommodations will be considered upon employee request.
- Provides consistent, therapeutic, cognitive/behavioral interventions for identified client and/or family including: talk therapy, behavior management, problem solving, activity therapy, parenting skills, coordination of care, and advocacy as appropriate to client age/cognitive functioning.
- Efficiently and accurately provides clinical assessments of mental and behavioral conditions.
- Designs and implements clinical pathways and protocols for treatment of selected mental and behavioral conditions.
- Works with grace under pressure.
- Resolves interpersonal conflict in a straightforward and timely manner.
- Sets priorities, is organized, and is a self-starter.
- Ability to be friendly, empathic, and an adept communicator.
- Treats both staff and clients and families with respect.
- Works effectively as a team, interfacing with clients, consulting psychiatrist, and mental health specialists, as well as with administrative and support staff.
- Collaborates with supervising therapist for best outcomes.
- Exercises balanced judgment in evaluating situations and making decisions, and to handle difficult or confrontational situations in a calm, consistent, and equitable manner.
- Effectively represents CLIU's interest in the community and maintains effective working relationships among coworkers, public, private, and professional groups.
- Develops a 24-hour crisis plan.
- Understands CLIU and/or departmental procedures and guidelines, as demonstrated by accurate application of procedures and guidelines.
- Maintains case documentation including: treatment plan and review as needed or at minimum, according to state requirements, notes for each session and for any contact regarding the client (attendance, phone calls, agency contacts).
- Attends monthly supervision meetings and seeks additional supervision with Clinic Coordinator, as needed.
- Complete a billing slip for each session and submit as required.
- Complete time sheets according to the payroll schedule and submit copies of notes with time sheets.
- Performs other duties as assigned, as assigned by the Supervisor of Behavioral Health Services and/or designee.