Contracted School Psychologist
Position Definition: The person filling this position will have the primary responsibility for providing appropriate psychological services to exceptional and thought-to-be students within the Intermediate Unit.
Relationship: The School Psychologist is directly responsible to the Assistant Director of Special Programs and Services.
- PDE Certification as a School Psychologist, required.
- Demonstrates a proficient understanding and utilization of Microsoft Office Suite and other software packages for use in the Special Program and Services Department.
- Demonstrates the ability to work collaboratively with external and internal stakeholders.
- Demonstrates the ability to maintain complete confidentiality.
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills, demonstrated by patience, understanding, and congeniality.
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates organizational skills and time management skills, providing for productivity, accuracy, and attention to detail in the carrying out of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrates the ability to implement and comply with PA Individual Education Program process.
- Demonstrates the ability to prioritize assigned tasks.
- Completes task with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrates the ability to work independently and maintain departmental deadlines.
- Demonstrates the ability to make professional decisions.
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Demonstrates philosophy of lifelong learning.
- Proficient in the use of technology to communicate with students, parents, staff, administrators, and community members.
- Possesses the skills to provide the highest level of customer service, with patience and knowledge of the Department’s services.
- Ability to attend work regularly at assigned work hours subject to lawful leave rights and responsibilities.
- Maintains current knowledge of programs/services, such as surrogate parenting, health care options, local services providers, and other relevant PDE initiatives.
þ Ability to stand, bend, stoop, sit, lift, reach, and communicate (vision, hearing, and speech) to effectively carry out functions, duties, and responsibilities.
þ Ability to independently ambulate in and around work areas.
þ Ability to travel to and from assigned work locations without employer support.
þ Ability to exhibit appropriate manual dexterity to effectively carry out functions, duties, and responsibilities.
þ Ability to conduct a safety restraint protocol which requires:
a normal degree of flexibility;
the ability to stand, walk, run, and shuffle for at least several minutes;
the ability to kneel on one and two knees and then stand up;
the ability to bend the trunk at 45 degrees and twist to either side;
the ability to grasp firmly and raise hands above the head;
the ability to learn and correctly demonstrate multi-step physical skills
Authority: The School Psychologist will have the authority to perform all functions listed below in accordance with established policies and procedures.
Functions/Duties/Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function/duty/responsibility at acceptable standards. In accordance with both state and/or federal law, reasonable accommodations will be considered upon employee request.
- Improves academic and behavioral achievement by conducting psychological and academic assessments that inform interventions which improve student outcomes.
- Promotes and facilitates effective management of student and classroom behavior.
- Assists school teams in monitoring student progress through the collection and interpretation of student and classroom data.
- Promotes positive behavior and mental health practices in resolving individual, group, and system level challenges in school behavior and mental health related areas.
- Assesses student emotional and behavioral needs and designs appropriate supports.
- Chairs and/or attends Multidisciplinary Team meetings.