Food Service Worker
Food Service Worker
Under the general supervision of the Unit Manager and Director of Food Services, food service staff prepares, produces, and serves a variety of foods from fresh, canned, dry, or frozen states according to recipes and assists in other related tasks in a designated food service production and/or service area.
Essential Performance Responsibilities
- Able to multi task at all times, ability to operate a computer Point of Sale System.
- Must maintain professional standards as required by the USDA.
- Prepares or assists in the preparation of a variety of main and side dishes and accompanying menu items, including sandwiches, salads, meats, vegetables, and fruits as specified by the menu, recipes and production records.
- Sets up and merchandises food and food service areas and serves food.
- Operates kitchen equipment such as, but not limited to, electric mixers, slicers, grinders, ovens, stove tops, warmers, and coolers
- Utilizes kitchenware such as, but not limited to, knives, spatulas, whisks, tongs, spoons, and ladles.
- Practices safe food handling according to state and federal law.
- Assists in the monitoring, reduction, and management of food waste.
- Cleans and sanitizes pots, pans, and kitchen utensils.
- Performs daily, weekly, and monthly deep cleaning of the facility, service areas, and all kitchen equipment such as counters, tables, ovens, refrigerators, freezers, mixers, transient hot carts, mobile carts, and rolling racks.
- Receives, labels, and stores food and supplies according to standards.
- Assists in taking inventory.
- Must enjoy working with children and adults.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Director of Food Services or Principal.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Uses standard kitchen equipment as stated above.
Travels to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Methods of preparing and serving a variety of foods from fresh, canned, dry or frozen.
- Use and care of kitchen equipment and utensils.
- Cleaning and sanitation methods used in a food service environment.
- Food storage methods.
- Basic arithmetic (i.e. addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division).
- Customer Service experience.
- Prepare, assemble and serve a variety of foods.
- Work rapidly and efficiently in performing job duties.
- Work cohesively with peers, supervisors, school personnel, and students.
- Work in large groups and crowds.
- Apply and maintain standards of cleanliness, sanitation, and personal hygiene.
- Read, write, and communicate in basic English.
- Count money and make change accurately.
- Demonstrate customer service skills on an ongoing basis.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
- Safely lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Able to bend, reach and stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to withstand a wide range of tempreatures.
- Ability to work in refrigerated areas.
- Ability to read and follow recipes.
- Ability to learn the proper use of kitchen equipment and a safe and effective manner.
- Works in standard school caferteria and kitchen environments.
Prior experience is not required, but welcomed.
- This position ranges betweeen $11.00 - $12.00 per hour
- 11 paid days off (1 paid holiday and 5 paid days during the December and February break)
- This position is not eligible for health insurance.
- Please apply online
- Applications will be considered only when a cover letter, resume, three letters of recommendation, license and transcripts have been attached to your online application.
Posted vacancies in SAU 16 have been approved by the School Board.
It is the policy of SAU 16 not to discriminate on the basis of race, sex, gender identity, religion, national origin, color, homelessness, sexual orientation, age, or disability in its education programs, services, activities or employment practices.
All resumes will be screened and selected candidates will participate in a thorough interview process
FLSA Status: Non Exempt