Staff Development Facilitator
Position Title: Staff Development Facilitator
Assignment: Professional Development
Department: Curriculum and Instruction/Educational Technologies
Labor Relationship: CLEA
Date Originated: 02/24/1998
Date Revised: 02/24/2005; 11/07/2005; 01/09/2006; 09/2009; 02/2010;
Position Definition: The Staff Development Facilitator shall assist in planning, developing, and implementing the year-round professional development programs for educators and support staff within the Carbon Lehigh Intermediate Unit #21 region. The Staff Development Facilitator will provide assistance to districts and CLIU #21 staff in areas of curriculum, instructional improvement, educational technologies, and professional development.
Relationship: The Staff Development Facilitator shall be directly responsible to the Director of Curriculum and Instruction/Educational Technologies and shall report to him/her in all matters concerning assigned functions and other CLIU #21 business.
- Master’s degree, preferred.
- 6+ years of classroom experience.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in staff development planning and delivery.
- PDE certification required in at least one of the following: Elementary Education, Instructional Technology Specialist, or certificate in a content area.
- Possesses excellent presentation skills.
- Demonstrates effective leadership skills in the areas of curriculum and professional development.
- Demonstrates the ability to interact with diverse groups in a professional, dynamic, and productive manner.
- Demonstrates a proficient understanding and utilization of Microsoft Office.
- Demonstrates the ability to work collaboratively with external and internal stakeholders.
- Demonstrates the ability to maintain complete confidentiality.
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills, demonstrated by patience, understanding, and congeniality.
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates organizational skills and time management skills, providing productivity, accuracy, and attention to detail in the carrying out of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrates the ability to prioritize assigned tasks.
- Completes tasks with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrates the ability to work independently and maintain departmental deadlines.
- Demonstrates the ability to make professional decisions.
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Demonstrates a philosophy of lifelong learning.
- Proficient in the use of technology to communicate with staff, administrators, and community members.
- Possesses the skills to provide the highest level of customer service, with patience and knowledge of the department’s services.
- Ability to attend work regularly at assigned work hours subject to lawful leave rights and responsibilities.
- Ability to stand, bend, stoop, sit, lift, reach, communicate (vision, hearing, and speech), and carry or convey sufficient weight to safely and effectively carry out functions, duties, and responsibilities.
- Ability to independently ambulate in and around work areas.
- Ability to travel to and from assigned work locations without employer support.
- Ability to travel on and/or drive a CLIU #21 vehicle.
- Ability to deliver presentations.
- Ability and availability to travel overnight.
- Ability to exhibit appropriate manual dexterity to effectively carry out functions, duties, and responsibilities.
Authority: The Staff Development Facilitator will have the authority to perform all functions listed below in accordance with established policies and procedures.
Functions/Duties/Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function/duty/responsibility at acceptable standards. In accordance with both state and/or federal law, reasonable accommodations will be considered upon employee request.
- Plans, develops, and implements year-round professional development programs for the educators and support staff of Carbon Lehigh Intermediate Unit #21 constituents.
- Collaborates with school districts to assure compliance of assigned state mandates related to professional development and curricular issues.
- Facilitates partnerships with other IU’s, agencies, and institutions of higher education with regard to professional development and curriculum development.
- Partners with other IU’s to coordinate cost-efficient professional development programs.
- Provides leadership, training, and technical assistance to districts in the areas of curriculum, instructional improvement, professional development, strategic planning, educational technologies, and related activities.
- Participates in various CLIU #21 councils and committees that are necessary for effective operation of the organization, such as, but not limited to, the Curriculum and Instruction Council.
- Facilitates the implementation of “Best Practices” at district-wide, building, and classroom levels.
- Provides follow-up technical assistance to translate professional development training into classroom or building application.
- Confers with school districts and advisory groups to obtain knowledge of their needs as it relates to the curriculum needs, individual student needs, educational technology needs, and professional development needs of the district or group.
- Conducts and/or participates in workshops and committees designed to promote the intellectual, social, and physical welfare of students.
- Demonstrates the ability to utilize the latest technology for presentations.
- Remains current with presentation technology and equipment for effective delivery of information.
- Understands CLIU #21 and/or departmental procedures and guidelines, as demonstrated by accurate application of procedures and guidelines.
- Demonstrates the ability to develop specific goals and plans to prioritize and organize for the effective delivery of educational programs.
- Serves as liaison to appropriate groups outside the CLIU #21 as assigned.
- Participates in professional associations and organizations as they relate to the Curriculum and Instruction areas.
- Some evening presentations may be required.
- Accepts additional assignments as assigned by the Coordinator of Curriculum and Instruction/Educational Technologies.