Position Definition: The person filling this position shall plan and implement educationally relevant therapy programs in consultation with the multidisciplinary team.
Relationship: The Physical Therapist will report directly to the Supervisor of Special Programs and Services.
- Current PA Licensure as a Physical Therapist.
- Demonstrates a proficient understanding and utilization of Microsoft Office Suite and other software packages for use in the Special Programs and Services department.
- Demonstrates the ability to work collaboratively with external and internal stakeholders.
- Demonstrates the ability to maintain complete confidentiality.
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills demonstrated by patience, understanding, and congeniality.
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates the ability to organize, plan, and manage job responsibilities in order to complete assignments with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrates the ability to implement and comply with PA Individual Education Plan process.
- Demonstrates the ability to prioritize assigned tasks.
- Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Demonstrates accuracy in completion of tasks.
- Demonstrates the ability to work independently and maintain departmental deadlines.
- Demonstrates the ability to make professional decisions.
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Possesses the skills to provide the highest level of customer service with patience and knowledge of the department’s services.
- Ability to attend work regularly at assigned work hours subject to lawful leave rights and responsibilities.
- Ability to stand, bend, stoop, sit, lift, reach, and communicate (vision, hearing, and speech) to effectively carry out functions, duties, and responsibilities.
- Ability to independently ambulate in and around work areas.
- Ability to travel to and from assigned work locations without employer support.
- Ability to exhibit appropriate manual dexterity to effectively carry out functions, duties, and responsibilities.
- Ability to conduct a safety restraint protocol which requires:
- a normal degree of flexibility;
- the ability to stand, walk, run, and shuffle for at least several minutes;
- the ability to kneel on one and two knees and then stand up;
- the ability to bend the trunk at 45 degrees and twist to either side;
- the ability to grasp firmly and raise hands above the head;
- the ability to learn and correctly demonstrate multi-step physical skills
Authority: The Physical Therapist will have the authority to perform all functions listed below in accordance with established policies and procedures.
Functions/Duties/Responsibilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function/duty/responsibility at acceptable standards. In accordance with both state and/or federal law, reasonable accommodations will be considered upon employee request.
- Performs and interprets appropriate tests and procedures that aid in the evaluation of the needs of students with physical disabilities.
- Assists the multidisciplinary team in the comprehensive assessment of a student so that appropriate and adequate educational programs and services are considered as part of the team decision making process.
- Plans and implements therapy programs on the basis of evaluations, following referral and approval of the program by the district team and receiving a physician’s prescription.
- Consults with the teacher to effectively link therapy with IEP goals and objectives in the sensory motor and gross motor areas.
- Provides assessment data and recommendations about intervention strategies and progress reports.
- Consults with parents regarding evaluation results, as well as making recommendations to the parent about any interventions that can be done at home.
- Functions as a liaison between the school and community-based therapy program.
- Maintains and orders supplies and equipment for program.
- Performs other duties as assigned.