Elementary Teacher - ESE
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited educational institution.
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable.
- Certified by the State of Florida in the appropriate area.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of child development and especially of characteristics of children in the age group assigned.
- Ability to work effectively with peers, administrators, and others.
- Ability to maintain appropriate student supervision so that students have a safe and orderly environment in which to learn.
- Ability to effectively assess levels of student achievement, analyze test results, and prescribe actions for improvement.
- Ability to plan and implement activities for maximum effectiveness.
- Skill in oral and written communication with students, parents, and others.
- Knowledge of learning styles and skill in using varied teaching methods to address student learning styles.
- Basic understanding and knowledge of use of current technology.
- Knowledge of current educational research.
- Knowledge of the prescribed curriculum.
REPORTS TO: Appropriate principal or assigned supervisor
SUPERVISES: Staff as assigned
JOB GOAL: To provide an educational atmosphere in which students will move toward the fulfillment of their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, and psychological growth and maturation in accordance with district philosophy, goals, and objectives.
- Consistent with district and state curriculum requirements, identify or develop long and short-range plans based on student needs.
- All other such job related duties as shall be assigned by the immediate supervisor, the Superintendent of Schools, or the Board.
- Perform other incidental tasks consistent with the goals and objectives of this position.
- Ensure that student growth/achievement is continuous and appropriate for age group, subject area, and/or student program classification.
- Support school improvement initiatives by active participation in school activities, services, and programs.
- Fulfill professional responsibilities.
- Act in a professional and ethical manner and adhere at all times to the Code of Ethics and Principles of Professional Conduct.
- Conduct a personal assessment periodically to determine professional development needs with reference to specific instructional assignment.
- Engage in continuing improvement of professional knowledge and skills.
- Assist others in acquiring knowledge and understanding of particular area of responsibility.
- Collaborate with peers to enhance the instructional environment.
- Collaborate with students, parents, school staff, and other appropriate persons to assist in meeting student needs.
- Communicate effectively, orally and in writing, with other professionals, students, parents, and community.
- Recognize overt indicators of student distress or abuse and take appropriate intervention, referral, or reporting actions.
- Provide instruction on safety procedures and proper handling of materials and equipment.
- Provide a positive environment in which students are encouraged to be actively engaged in the learning process.
- Provide quality work for students, focused on meaningful, relevant, and engaging learning experiences.
- Provide appropriate instruction and modifications for students with special needs.
- Use appropriate materials, technology, and resources to help meet learning needs of all students.
- Use appropriate techniques and strategies to enhance the application of critical, creative, and evaluative thinking capabilities of students.
- Use a variety of instructional strategies appropriate for teaching students from diverse back-grounds with different learning styles and special needs.
- Apply principles of learning and effective teaching in instructional delivery.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of curriculum content.
- Establish appropriate testing environment and ensure test accuracy.
- Interpret and use data (including, but not limited to, standardized and other test results) for diagnosis, instructional planning, and program evaluation.
- Develop and use assessment strategies (traditional and alternative) to assist the continuous development of learners.
- Instruct and supervise the work of volunteers and aides when assigned.
- Manage materials and assigned equipment effectively, including record keeping and other inventory requirements.
- Manage time effectively.
- Establish and maintain effective and efficient record keeping procedures including student records subject to the requirements of the Family Rights and Privacy Act.
- Assist in enforcement of school rules, administrative regulations, and board policy.
- Establish and use behavior management techniques which are appropriate and effective.
- Maintain a positive, organized, and safe learning environment.
- Assist in preparing for changing curriculum needs and continuous improvement.
- Identify, select, develop, or modify instructional materials to support learning objectives and to meet the needs of students with diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds, learning styles, and special needs.
- Plan and prepare instructional activities that contribute to a climate where students are actively engaged in meaningful learning experiences.
- Plan and prepare lessons and instructional strategies which support the school improvement plan and the district mission.
- Plan and prepare work for students which is meaningful and engaging.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 10 pounds of force as frequently as needed to move objects.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Salary and benefits shall be paid consistent with the district's board-approved salary schedule. Length of the work year and hours of employment shall be those established by the district.
EVALUATION: Performance of this position will be evaluated by the immediate supervisor.
Note: These requirements may vary for certain teacher classifications, i.e., speech pathology may
require a Master's degree, non-degree vocational teachers may be certified based on work
experience according to local certification requirements.