High School Special Education Teacher
Job Title: SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER
Under the direction of the Building Principal and District Special Education Coordinator, the Licensed Special Education Teacher develops and provides specialized instruction to meet the unique needs of students with disabilities; Evaluates and assesses student progress against instructional objectives; follows State mandated due process procedures and functions as IEP Manager to assigned students. The teacher will use various methods to provide instruction to the on their caseload, ie. Push-in and or pull-out.
Essential functions of the job may include but are not limited to the following:
- Provides research-based specialized instruction to address the instructional goals and objectives contained within each student’s IEP.
- Assesses student progress and determines the need for additional reinforcement or adjustments to instructional techniques.
- Employs various teaching techniques, methods and principles of learning to enable students to meet their IEP goals.
- Develops and implements annual Individualized Educational Program (IEP) plans for students to include: present levels of educational performance, special education needs, instructional goals and objectives, and the special education and related services required to meet those goals.
- Schedules team meetings and works cooperatively with child study team members and others in developing instructional goals and strategies.
- Coordinates the delivery of special education services in each student's IEP.
- Creates a positive learning experience with emphasis in individualized instruction using appropriate sources including I-pads.
- Serves as primary contact for the parent.
- Conducts special education evaluations and reevaluations.
- Provides direction, supervision and evaluation of educational assistants as directed.
- Complies with School Board policies and all state/federal rules and regulations.
- Completes all district and state reporting requirements.
- Establishes and maintains student control and discipline in the classroom, school premises or during school activities.
- Employs and implements a classroom structure and consistency to encourage student responsibility, cooperation and mutual respect consistent with district policies and procedures.
- Collaborates and consults with educational professionals and community service providers (i.e., social services, public health, medical providers etc.) regarding the needs of students.
- Provides consultation to classroom teachers regarding classroom adaptions, instructional modifications, adaptive equipment, behavior modification plans and other similar instructional interventions to meet the needs of students with disabilities.
- Performs other comparable duties of a like or similar nature or as assigned.
- Minimum B.A/B.S degree in teaching from an accredited institution in the appropriate special education area.
- Current Michigan teaching license in required content area.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices and procedures of special education and specialty area.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and methodology of effective teaching of students with disabilities.
- Ability to deliver and articulate oral presentations and written reports.
- Ability to effectively an analyze needs and problems objectively.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, parents, staff, administration and the general public.
- Knowledge of relevant technology including the use of technology.
- Meet professional teacher education requirements of school district and state.
- Knowledge and skills in working with children with Learning Disabilities, and possibility behavior and emotional disabilities.
- Must have the ability and proven ability to report to work on a regular and punctual basis.
- Perform all other related work delegated or required to accomplish the objectives of the total school program.
Regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk, hear, operate a computer and other office equipment, reach with hands and arms.