Job | Posted 3 months ago
SECONDARY SCHOOL COUNSELOR
Classification: 209 days / 11 months
Reports to: School Principal
Position Summary:The Secondary Counselor in a consultative and counseling role will work closely with teachers, other staff members, and parents, as well as with pupils. He/she will solicit the cooperation of significant adults in the lives of the pupil to facilitate appropriate change in environmental stimuli.
- Assist with the modification of behavior of all pupils
- Counsel with small groups of pupils selected because of similar problems
- Counsel with individual pupils
- Function as a team member with the social worker, nurse and other supportive personnel as the needs of pupils are explored
- Locate and use all available referral services
- Interpret test results to those who need to know and, when necessary, administer or assist in administering tests
- Work with administrators, teachers, pupils and parents in exploring career education and the world of work
- Assist all pupils in the selection of high school subjects to meet graduation requirements and post-high school plans
- Plan with all pupils’ career and post-high school plans
- Function as a member of the school staff in a counseling role sharing in the responsibilities of teachers
- Work closely with parents and community agencies
- Initiate and cooperate with others in conducting local research related to pupil needs and the success of school services in meeting those needs
- Keep required counseling records; collect, organize and analyze information about students from records, tests, interviews and professional sources
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Cooperate with school personnel in identifying and meeting social, emotional, and physical needs of students.
- Participate as an active member of the Student Support Services Team with the school counselor and school social worker.
- Submit reports as requested by the Manager of the Office of Health Services, Medical Director, and Executive Director of Student Support Services.
- Submit reports as required by governmental agencies.
- Attend workshops, in-services, and staff meetings scheduled by the Office of Health Services.
- Annually earn a minimum of 25 professional development or continuing education hours.
- Performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with provisions of the Mississippi Department of Education’s Professional Growth System.
- Acceptable references (two written)
- Acceptable personal traits – speech, appearance, character, attitude, etc., as observed
- Master’s Degree in Guidance and Counseling or an equivalent
- Mississippi State Teachers Certificate in area
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of theories of human development, learning, personality, and career development.
- Knowledge of assessment materials and techniques.
- Competent in administration and interpretation of individual intelligence tests.
- Ability to effectively communicate with students, parents, and school staff.
- Ability to analyze school adjustment and classroom climate.
- Knowledge of information services and community resources.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Competent in time management with attention to priority setting for goals and objectives
- Must be physically able to operate a motor vehicle
- Must be able to exert up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to lift, carry, push, and pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body
- Light Work usually requires walking or standing to a significant degree
Working Conditions and Environment:
- Work is routinely performed in a typical interior/office environment
- Very limited or no exposure to physical risk
In connection with hiring for this position the district shall not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status or national origin.
Holmes County Consolidated School District
313 Olive Street P. O. Box 630 , Lexington , MS 39095
At the following locations
Holmes County Central High School
9479 Bronzville Rd. P. O. Box 270, Lexington, MS 39095
Compare with State
Amount per Student
State Average: $9,093
% ELL Students
State Average: 2%
Student Teacher Ratio
State Average: 15.14
% IEP Students
State Average: 14%
State Average: 429