Student Nutrition Specialist
Work under moderate supervision to prepare and serve appropriate quantities of food to meet menu requirements. Maintain high standards of quality in food production, sanitation, and safety practices.
Ability to understand written and verbal food preparation and safety instructions
Working knowledge of kitchen equipment and food production procedures
Ability to operate large and small kitchen equipment and tools
Ability to perform basic math
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
Food Preparation and Serving
1. Prepare quality food according to a planned menu of tested and uniform recipes.
2. Serve food according to meal schedules, departmental policies, and procedures, and practice and
promote portion control and proper use of leftovers.
3. Store and handle food items and supplies safely and according to established procedures. Maintain a
clean and organized storage area.
Safety and Sanitation
4. Operate tools and equipment according to prescribed safety standards, and follow established
procedures to meet high standards of cleanliness, health, and safety.
5. Keep garbage collection containers and areas neat and sanitary.
6. Correct unsafe conditions in work area and promptly report any conditions that are not immediately
correctable to supervisor.
7. Maintain personal appearance and hygiene.
8. Handle and record cashier functions accurately.
9. Help record food requisitions and order necessary supplies.
10. Maintain daily food preparation records.
11. Promote teamwork and interaction with fellow staff members.
12. Complete annual continuing education requirements.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Tools/Equipment Used: Standard large and small kitchen equipment and tools including electric slicer,
mixer, pressure steamer, deep-fat fryer, sharp cutting tools, stove, oven, dishwasher, and food/utility cart
Posture: Prolonged standing; frequent kneeling/squatting, bending/stoop, pushing/pulling, and twisting
Motion: Continual walking; frequent climbing (ladder), grasping/squeezing, wrist flexion/extension,
Lifting: Frequent moderate lifting and carrying (15–44 pounds)
Environment: Work inside in commercial kitchen environment; exposure to extreme hot and cold
temperatures, extreme humidity, noise, vibration, microwaves, biological hazards (bacteria, mold, fungi),
chemical hazards (fumes, vapors, gases), electrical hazards; work with hands in water; work around
machinery with moving parts; work on slippery surfaces
Mental Demands: Work with frequent interruptions; maintain emotional control under stress