Special Education Teacher
Job | Posted a month ago
Two Rivers Magnet Middle School is in search of a Special Education Teacher
- Conducts assessments, testing and diagnostic examinations of students for the purpose of identifying learning issues, and recommending courses of action or corrective procedures to overcome issues and maximize learning.
- Participates in PPT's and assists in developing Individual Educational Program ("IEP") for students.
- Assists students and teaching staff in implementing students' IEP's and behavior management plans.
- Collaborates with teachers and staff to design and implement programs and strategies to address student’s individualized needs.
- Coordinates with district representatives, outside agencies, organizations and institutions, including state and federal authorities as needed.
- Coordinates with administrators and other teaching staff members to ascertain individual student's abilities and needs, including students with special needs, and to familiarize stakeholders with social work services.
- Serves as ready resource to students and parents to provide counseling that will lead each student to increased personal growth and behavioral management; serves as liaison between home and school.
- Collects, organizes and maintains data to assist in decision making as it relates to academic and behavioral concerns.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research, and by maintaining professional relationships with members of institutions of higher learning and the business community.
- Collects, organizes and maintains data and systems for accurate and complete record-keeping and providing student information to prospective colleges and employers, as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Utilizes appropriate books, aids and other supplies and equipment and maintains inventory records.
- Supervises and trains Paraeducators working with students within the classroom.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Director and other central office administrators as designated by Student Services.
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities
- Knowledge of Special Education principles, theories, testing, methods, curriculum/Common Core standard etc. as well as proven methods of maximizing the educational experience of students with special needs.
- Knowledge of differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff, LEAs, students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
- State Department of Education Certification #065, 165, or 265. .
Capitol Region Education Council
111 Charter Oak Avenue , Hartford, CT 06106
At the following locations
Two Rivers Magnet Middle School
337 East River Drive, East Hartford, CT 06108, USA , East Hartford, CT 06108
Compare with State
Amount per Student
State Average: $20,481
% ELL Students
State Average: 7%
Student Teacher Ratio
State Average: 12.29
% IEP Students
State Average: 14%
State Average: 479