Diverse Learning Intervention Specialist (2020-2021 School Year)
LEARN is a network of high performing college preparatory, tuition-free public elementary and middle schools that serve children. There are 10 LEARN Schools serving 4,100 students in grades PK-8 across Chicago, Waukegan, and North Chicago.
LEARN and our amazing educators have received numerous recognitions for making an impact in public education, including the 2018 Chicago Magazine's Top Elementary Charter Schools and the 2018 Illinois Network of Charter Schools Principal of the Year Award.
LEARN's mission remains crystal clear: to provide children with the academic foundation and ambition to earn a college degree. LEARN is currently looking for hard-working and passionate professionals that are dedicated to transforming public education.
The primary responsibilities of the Diverse Learning Intervention Specialist are to maintain quality services in accordance with state/federal guidelines and ensuring that instruction, modifications, etc. for students with special needs are being implemented consistently at high levels in order for ALL scholars to be successful. An ideal candidate is someone who can create a warm, safe, and welcoming environment to support students' academic and social/emotional growth. The candidate has a natural ability to establish professional relationships with students who have been identified to need specific academic/behavioral supports, research based explicit instruction, learning opportunities, and experiences to access the core curriculum and help them fulfill their potential for emotional, social, and intellectual growth.
|KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/OUTCOMES||% TIME SPENT|
Education, Training and/or Experience
- Degree in Special Education and Illinois LBS I certification and/or LBS II certification.
- 3-5 years of Teaching experience in Special Education required.
- Experience with conducting Functional Behavior Analysis and developing evidence based Behavioral Intervention Plans.
- Experience in implementing a research based social/emotional or social skills curriculum.
- Demonstrated skills in the use of assistive and adaptive technology to support student independence.
- Certification in Non-Violent Crisis Intervention, CPR and First Aid.
- Demonstrated track record of delivering gains in student academic achievement.
- Demonstrated record of living LEARN's Core Values.
- Experience with programming for students on the Autism Spectrum and/or for students identified with an emotional disability.
Caring for children can be physically demanding. Teachers may be lifting and carrying children and equipment, and may spend time sitting on the floor or child sized furniture. Nature of work requires an ability to operate standard business office equipment. Requires the ability to communicate and exchange information, collect, compile and prepare work documents, set-up and maintain work files. Teachers will also be expected to clean and maintain equipment and facility, and may move throughout the community with children. Physical demands require the ability to stand, bend, reach high and low, stoop, walk around the classroom and kneel upwards of 60% of the day. In addition walking up and down stairs several times a day. Must be able to lift 15 to 20 pounds for short periods of time and push and pull 15 to 20 lbs.
Teacher will be working in a busy and occasionally noisy environment. There may be a number of activities and situations happening at once, and the Teacher will have to supervise all children at all times. Majority of work will be performed in a general office/ school environment. Position requires availability for extended hours plus non-traditional hours required to perform job duties. Also requires participation and attendance at organization sponsored events and meetings.
- They have to create a safe and nurturing learning environment for all students.
- They have to maintain strong relationships with families.
- They have to exhibit deep knowledge to support diverse learners.
- They must ensure supervision of students at all times.
This job description is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties or skills required for the job and is subject to review and change at any time, with or without notice, in accordance with the needs of LEARN Charter School Network. Since no job description can detail all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time in the performance of a job, duties and responsibilities that may be inherent in a job, reasonably required for its performance, or required due to the changing nature of the job shall also be considered part of the jobholder’s responsibility.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, family medical history, disability or veteran status.