Speech Therapist Pathologist
POSITION: Speech Therapist Pathologist
LOCATION: Albany High Complex
The Dougherty County School System is seeking a Speech Pathologist to work in cooperation with appropriate district supervisors, teachers, parents and students. This individual will be responsible for providing diagnostic and intervention services for students with speech, language and hearing disorders.
- Master’s degree in Speech Language Pathology.
- T5 certificate or eligible to receive license according to Georgia state requirements, prefer certificate of Clinical Competence(CCC) from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association and proficient in sign language.
- Demonstrates ability to relate and motivate all students with respect to learning styles to make learning meaningful, effective, contextual and involving positive interactions for the ongoing intellectual development of young minds.
- Ability to successfully integrate technology into the classroom while engaging students.
- Experience in working with sensitive information regarding students.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality along with professional demeanor when interacting with students, parents, and staff.
- Establish and maintains good communication with parents, local agencies, students, coworkers and parents concerning the progress of the students.
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate.
- Identify, evaluate, and provide therapy to students identified with speech and/or language deficits in order to support all involved staff and the students so they can obtain maximum benefit from their educational program.
- Be flexible, self-motivated, and a team player.
- Be present, organized and enthusiastically committed to the success of all assigned students for the school calendar.
- Serve as a school resource for staff and parents with regards to speech/language and assists and guide teachers in observing, documenting, and referring students with suspected speech and/or language impairments.
- Identify and administer appropriate formal and informal assessment instruments needed in diagnosing speech, language, fluency, etc., impairments and administers all screening in speech/language area to determine whether or not further assessment is needed.
- Provide appropriate therapeutic activities to meet the individuals’ needs in the remediation of existing impairments and select and/or designs materials that match the student's needs, as designated by the child's IEP.
- Monitor students’ continuous progress through data collection and observation and provide information/support and training to parents around their child's needs.
- Maintain the degree of discipline and order in the classroom necessary to effectively instruct the class.
- Knowledgeable of state and federal regulations and local policies regarding children with special needs.
- Complete all records and reports on time and with accuracy.
- Create and follow an agreed upon schedule.
- Attend staff meetings and parent conferences, serve on staff committees as required.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by Supervisor(s).
REPORTS TO: Director of Exceptional Students Program
SALARY RANGE: 190 day contract. Salary in accordance to the DCSS compensation guide.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applicants will begin and will continue until the position is filled.
THE DOUGHERTY COUNTY SCHOOL SYSTEM DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, AGE, SEX, NATIONAL ORIGIN OR DISABILITY
The System reserves the right to waive any qualifications or other provisions of this advertisement by statute or regulations.
Dougherty County School System uses the ApplicantTracking system from Aspex Solutions to manage employment applications online.
The Dougherty County School System is a leading catalyst and advocate for public education in Southwest Georgia. It's the largest school system in the second congressional district. The school district has 21 schools (14 elementary, 4 middle and 3 high schools), five learning centers and the Commodore Conyers College & Career Academy. All schools are accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) and the Georgia Accrediting Commission (GAC). The DCSS offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Dougherty County is recognized for its quail and duck hunting, fishing, the Flint River and many cypress swamps. The County has a population of approximately 90,000. Our County has two institutions of higher education, Albany State University and Albany Technical College. Notable points of interests include the Albany Museum of Art, the Flint RiverQuarium; the Albany Civil Rights Institute; the Parks at Chehaw; Radium Springs Gardens; and Thronateeska Heritage Center, which includes the Museum of History, Wetherbee Planetarium, and the Science Discovery Center. Dougherty County is a short drive to Atlanta, the Georgia coast, as well as the Florida Gulf Coast beaches.
This document provides descriptive information about the above The Dougherty County School System position. Work actually performed by incumbents in this position may vary. Although this document may be used for recruiting, staffing, or career planning, the information contained herein should only be used as a guideline or recommendation for the content of and qualifications for this position. The Dougherty County School System reserves the right to make changes to this document as deemed necessary without providing advance written notice.