JOB TITLE: Elementary Teacher WAGE/HOUR STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Principal PAY GRADE: Teacher Salary Schedule
LENGTH OF ASSIGNMENT: 10 Months
To create a flexible elementary grade program and a class environment favorable to learning and personal growth; to establish effective rapport with pupils; to motivate pupils to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to provide a good foundation for upper elementary grade education, in accordance with each pupil’s ability; to establish good relationships with parents and other staff members.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university
Valid Texas teaching certificate with required endorsements for subject/level assigned
Knowledge of subjects assigned
General knowledge of curriculum and instruction
At least one year of student teaching or approved internship
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
1. Teaches reading, language arts, social studies, mathematics, science, art, health, physical education, and music to pupils in a classroom, utilizing course of study adopted by the Board of Education, and other appropriate learning activities.
2. Instructs pupils in citizenship and basic subject matter as specified in 19.TAC Chapter 75 and administrative regulations and procedures of the school district.
3. Develops lesson plans and instructional materials and provides individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each pupil.
4. Uses a variety of instruction strategies, such as inquiry, group discussion, lecture, discovery, etc.
5. Translates lesson plans into learning experiences so as to best utilize the available time for instruction.
6. Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
7. Evaluates pupils academic and social growth, keeps appropriate records, and prepares progress reports.
8. Communicates with parents through conferences and other means to discuss pupils progress and interpret the school program.
9. Identifies pupil needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and helping pupils solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
10. Creates an effective environment for learning through functional and attractive displays, bulletin boards, and interest centers.
11. Maintains professional competence through in-service education activities provided by the district and self-selected professional growth activities.
12. Participates cooperatively with the appropriate administrator to develop the method by which the teacher will be evaluated in conformance with district guidelines.
13. Selects and requisitions books and instructional aides; maintains required inventory records.
14. Supervises pupils in out-of-classroom activities during the assigned working day.
15. Administers group standardized tests in accordance with district testing program.
16. Participates in curriculum development programs as required.
17. Participates in faculty committees and the sponsorship of pupil activities.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Ability to communicate effectively (verbal and written); ability to instruct; maintain emotional control under stress.
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Boards policy on Evaluation of Professional Personnel.