Teaching Assistant, Special Education
119 SOUTH AVENUE, WEBSTER, NY 14580
(585) 216-0010 website: www.websterschools.org
Position Title: Special Education Teaching Assistant
Location: Thomas High School
Starting Date: April 12, 2019
- Experience supporting students with disabilities in general and special education settings
- Able to assist students with personal care, academic and behavioral needs K-12
Salary: As per current Educational Support Association Agreement (ESA)
Application Procedure: Please apply online by April 2, 2019
Correspond With: Mr. David Swinson
Assistant Superintendent for Administration and Human Resources
Webster Central School District
1028 Ridge Road, Suite 112
Webster, NY 14580
SELECTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED FOR INTERVIEWS.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Webster Central School District does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, age, disability, or any other status protected by law.
The role of the Teaching Assistant is to provide, under the direction of a certified teacher, direct instructional and support services to students (i.e. Response to Intervention, AV/TV, Computer Lab, Counseling Center, ESL, in-school suspension, library, learning center, make-up test rooms, resource rooms, special education classrooms, study halls, or other areas as needed).
The Teacher Assistant is directly responsible to the building principal or his/her designee. Those Teaching Assistants who fall under Special Education will also be supervised by a district administrator.
Level I Teaching Assistant Certification (willing to progress towards Level III)
Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
Communicates and works well with students (general and special education), teachers, parents, co-workers and others in the community.
1. Works with individual students or groups of students on instructional projects as directed by a teacher or
2. Provides the teacher with information about students that will assist in the development of appropriate
3. Assists students in the use of available instructional resources and assists in the development and the use of
instructional materials and resources.
4. Shares expertise and training with staff as requested by the building principal, his/her designee or district
5. May supervise groups of students being responsible for their whereabouts and activities.
6. Assists teachers and administrators in disciplinary situations following individual student plan expectations.
7. Provides escort for students in need of support following individual student plan expectations.
8. Attends building and district meetings/workshops as required by the building principal, his/her designee or
9. Reads and implements student 504, IEP and/or behavior plans in accordance with regulations.
10. Case managers and/or classroom teachers are the contact person for families. Any inquiries from families
should be directed to them.
11. Liaison between classroom teachers and case managers.
12. Collects and records data as directed by teacher or administrator.
13. Performs such other position-related duties assigned by the building principal, his/her designee or district administrator, during unusual or emergency situations.
14. Assists students with physical care tasks and health-related activities as appropriate. Examples could
include: feeding, dressing, transfers between equipment, and toileting.
15. Specific and timely job training will be provided by the school district.