Job | Posted 2 years ago
Volunteering in the schoolsWe want to thank you in advance for your interest in volunteering in the Holmes County Consolidated School District. The teachers, students and staff greatly appreciate the time you are willing to share through your volunteer work here. You will add greatly to the educational experience of our students.
Some of the Ways You Can Help ...
- Assist in the Library Media Center
- Chaperone field trips, dances, etc.
- Help students by reviewing skills, concepts taught
- Assist teachers in preparation of bulletin boards and/or duplicating instructional materials for classroom use.
- Teach a craft or hobby, talk about your occupation, share cultural and ethnic background and experiences.
- Help with clerical needs in the school office.
- Assemble distributions.
- Assist in the computer lab.
- Assist in the lunchroom and/or on the playground.
- Complete projects at home for school use.
All volunteers are asked to complete a volunteer disclosure on-line application. The tremendous responsibility the Holmes County Consolidated School District has to its school children and community necessitates the information from all volunteers regarding convictions. A record of conviction does not prohibit placement; however, failure to complete the online disclosure application accurately and completely may mean disqualification from consideration for placement or may be cause for dismissal if placed. Applicants must report any convictions that occur subsequent to the time they initially completed the online disclosure application.
Volunteering in a school is an experience and a privilege for both the school and the volunteer. It is designed to promote and maintain a supportive relationship with the students, teachers, and school staff.
Please help keep our program running smoothly by following these guidelines:
- Sign in at the office when you arrive at school.
- Wear your volunteer button or name tag.
- Sign out at the office when you leave.
- Return your volunteer button or name tag.
As a volunteer, please ...
- Respect confidences of student and school personnel.
- Follow the guidelines established by the school such as dress code, hours of work, adult behavior, values and all regulations, rules, and policies stated for school employees and volunteers.
- Use reasonable judgment in making decisions, then as soon as possible, consult with school staff for future guidance.
- Be considerate, respect competencies and work as a member of the team with the staff and students.
- Realize that you do not have instructional, evaluation, decision-making or teaching responsibilities for students, but are expected to enrich and extend learning opportunities for students and promote educational excellence for the school system.
- is cooperative with the administration and teaching personnel.
- is sincerely concerned about students.
- is willing to be discreet, sincere, dedicated and punctual.
- recognizes the individuality of each student.
- respects the teacher or staff member's ultimate responsibility for the health, welfare and education of each student.
- cooperates, coordinates and communicates continually with school administrators, faculty members, and staff.
- provides the teacher or staff member with the satisfaction of knowing that the student's needs are being met and that quality education is being promoted, extended and enriched.
- receives the sincere gratitude of the total school community.
- Encourage children to do their own thinking.
- Give students plenty of time to answer.
- Accept children as they are. You must not feel responsible for judging children's abilities, progress or behaviors.
- Respect children's privacy. If a child or teacher reveals personal information, regard it as a confidence.
- Help build students' self-confidence and keep a positive attitude. Remember, effort and attentiveness can be as important as performance.
The school staff will:
- provide specific instructions to the volunteer.
- provide space for the volunteer to do their work.
- provide necessary materials and equipment.
- communicate with the volunteer as needed.
- provide advance notice when special events interfere with the volunteer time.
Confidentiality: When volunteering, please remember that the behaviors and abilities of students, teachers, and staff are never appropriate topics for discussions outside of school. Respect confidences of students and school personnel. Be alert to the need for confidentiality.
Dependability: The staff you work with will depend on you to be present at your scheduled time. Their tasks are planned with your help in mind. The students will expect you and look forward to you coming to their class. Therefore, if you will not be able to volunteer on a particular day, please notify the school office immediately and leave a message for the staff member. Also, please be prompt. Being punctual lets the students know they are important to you. If you must be late, notify the school office.
Holmes County Consolidated School District
313 Olive Street P. O. Box 630 , Lexington , MS 39095
At the following locations
Career Technical Center
77 Kickernick St. P. O. Box 390, Lexington, MS 39095
Compare with State
Amount per Student
State Average: $9,093
% ELL Students
State Average: 2%
Student Teacher Ratio
State Average: 15.14
% IEP Students
State Average: 14%
State Average: 429