General Elementary Teacher
Teacher - 2019-2020 School Year
Under the general supervision of the School Principal, to facilitate student success and growth in academic and interpersonal skills through implementing district approved curriculum; documenting teaching and student progress/activities/outcomes; addressing specific educational needs of individual students and by creating a flexible, safe and optimal learning environment; and providing feedback to students, parents and administration regarding student progress, expectations, goals, etc. To help students learn subject matter and skills that will contribute to their development as mature, able, and responsible men and women.
Essential Job Functions
- Develops and administers school elementary curriculum consistent with school district goals and objectives.
- Promotes a classroom environment that is safe and conducive to individualized and small group instruction, and student learning.
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials and translates lesson plans into learning experiences so as to best utilize the available time for instruction
- Conducts ongoing assessment of student learning, and modifies instructional methods to fit individual student's needs, including students with special needs; conducts individual and small group instruction as needed.
- Instructs students in the principles of responsible citizenship and other subject matters specified in applicable laws, as well as administrative regulations and procedures of the school system.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping, grading, and reporting for all student activities, achievement and attendance as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensure effective communication with students and parents.
- Ensure that student conduct conforms with the school's standards and school district policies, and establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Coordinates with other elementary professional staff members, especially within grade level, to evaluate and assess curriculum, and participates in faculty meetings and committees.
- Selects and requisitions appropriate books, instructional aids and other supplies and equipment and maintains inventory records.
- Supervises students in activities that take place out of the classroom during the school day, including activities involving school transportation.
- Administers standardized tests in accordance with District testing programs.
- Develop lesson plans utilizing the NIET Best Practice Instructional Rubric to ensure effective instruction and participate in Cluster professional development in order to grow as a professional educator.
Uses standard teaching equipment such as personal computers, printer, telephone, pens and pencils, dry erase markers, timer, etc.
Travels to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.
PEA certified position
Standard teacher work schedule as set forth in the Teacher’s Contract.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiates instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Knowledge and implementation of relevant technology.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing with students, parents, and staff.
- Proven ability to report work on a regular and punctual basis.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to meet professional teacher education requirements of school and district.
- Ability to encourage and monitor the progress of individual students and to use that information to adjust teaching strategies.
- Ability to maintain discipline in accordance with the rules and disciplinary systems of the school.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Proven ability to establish and communicate clear objectives for all learning activities.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
Seldom = Less than 25% Occasional = 26 to 50% Often = 51 to 75% Very Frequent = Greater than 75%
|Physical Requirement||Percentage of Time|
|Ability to stand for extended periods of time.||Very Frequent|
|Ability to lift 25 pounds.||Seldom|
|Ability to carry 25 pounds.||Occasional|
|Ability to work at a desk, conference table or in meetings of various configurations.||Very Frequent|
|Ability to see for the purpose of reading laws and codes, rules and policies and other printed matter.||Very Frequent|
|Ability to communicate so others will be able to clearly understand a normal conversation.||Very Frequent|
|Ability to operate job-related equipment.||Very Frequent|
|Ability to reach in all directions.||Very Frequent|
License/ Registration/ Certification
- Current Indiana Teacher’s License, in subject area applicable to teaching assignment.
- BA degree in education.
- Previous experience is preferred.
FLSA Status Exempt