Special Education Teacher
JOB TITLE: Special Education Teacher
REPORTS TO: Assistant Principal/Principal
LOCATION: Wilmington, DE 19802
JOB GOAL: All EastSide teachers will play an essential role in the growth and development of each of our students. All of our students come from underrepresented ethnic groups and many are performing several grade levels below their current grade level. Our teachers own the responsibility to plan, instruct, assess, lead, mentor, and guide each of our students to academic success overcoming all hurdles and obstacles to ensuring academic success. All teachers are responsible for the successful design, development, and implementation of academic lessons, working with other teachers and staff to analyze, assess, and improve the educational experience for our students. The special education teacher is a team member who works in collaboration with the general education teachers using primarily an inclusion model. The special education teachers primary role is to remove barriers that get in the way of success, encourage academic, social, and emotional growth, and ensure all student’s on their caseload are successfully meeting individualized goal through the implementation of accommodations and services within the least restrictive environment.
OVERVIEW: Founded in 1997, EastSide Charter School is a free, public elementary school that educates students in Wilmington, Delaware. EastSide prides itself on being a community-based school, using multiple partnerships, strong relationships with families, and a dedicated and hard-working faculty to ensure academic success for its students.
EastSide is in the midst of a dynamic turnaround effort that will have a profound impact in Wilmington. EastSide teachers play a significant role in ensuring that our students develop the character and skills necessary to being an influential and contributing member of the community and global society. This position is suited for someone who is willing to do “Whatever it Takes” to support our students in being successful in school and in life.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Each of our teachers will:
- Hold high expectations for each student
- Possess strong knowledge of content area
- Create and foster a positive learning environment
- Establish and maintain strong communication lines with all parents
- Assist in development of curriculum standards and backwards planning
- Attend bi-weekly team meetings
- Other duties as assigned by Leadership
- Special Education teachers will:
- Develop, monitor, and implement Individualized Education Plans for all students on their caseload
- Evaluate student progress and/or implementation of IEP benchmarks for the sake of reporting progress regularly.
- Plan and lead lessons to students in a variety of individual and small group sessions
- Observe, record, and chart behavior in accordance with formal Behavior Intervention Plans
- Prepare classroom materials related to students IEP goals or modifications/accommodations.
- Adapt classroom activities, assignments and/or materials for the purpose of supporting and reinforcing classroom objectives
- Administers tests, homework, make-up work, etc. for the purpose of supporting specific students
- Attend meetings and in-service professional developments for the purpose of acquiring and/or conveying information relative to job functions.
- Adhere to all Federal and State regulations in regards to timelines, policies and procedures for the purpose of compliance and accountability
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year educational institution. Has or is eligible for State of Delaware certification as a special education teacher K-12.
EastSide teachers must have:
- at least one year of teaching experience (two years’ experience preferred)
- an outstanding record of elevating student achievement in an urban classroom, with a strong understanding of pedagogy that drives results
EastSide educators must:
- Be driven to improve the minds and lives of students from underserved communities; dedicated to doing whatever it takes to help all students achieve academic success
- Be passionate about academic learning and insistent on academic excellence and rigor at all times
- Be self-aware and know how to treat all members of the school’s community with respect, appraises accurately his or her strengths and weaknesses, and is perceptive about how he or she is regarded
- Work urgently and be able to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once
- Be detail-oriented and self-directed with the ability to work independently and with a team
- Act entrepreneurially as an initiator, problem-solver, and creative thinker
- Effectively communicate with various audiences in an authentic and persuasive manner
- Possess strong written communication skills
- Be able to juggle multiple tasks and initiatives at once
- Be detail-oriented and self-directed and able to work independently on short- and long-term projects
- Satisfactory criminal, child abuse, and FBI clearances
COMMITMENT AND COMPENSATION:
Length of Work Year: 10 months, select Saturdays, and occasional evening and weekend commitments will also be required; occasional travel throughout the state and region.
Salary and Benefits: Salary range is based on the salary scale with qualifications and experience. EastSide offers a friendly and committed team of colleagues and a comprehensive benefits plan.