Substitute School Nurse
1. Eligible for appropriate Maine Department of Education certification.
2. Eligible for R.N. license in Maine.
REPORTS TO: Building Leader
1. Provides health assessment, conducts vision, hearing, scoliosis, and other tests as may be required by the state.
2. Provides ongoing health records and information, interprets and initiates health referrals to pupils, parents, school personnel and health agencies to meet individual student needs.
3. Coordinates all health related 504 plans for students at assigned schools.
4. Provide the administration of medication according to Biddeford School Department policy JLCD.
5. Promotes and assists in the control of communicable diseases through preventative immunization programs, monitoring and reporting of contagious diseases as required.
6. Keeps faculty and administration informed of existing health problems among the students as appropriate under FERPA.
7. Provides health information to assist students and families in making health related decisions.
8. Prepares the school health supply budget.
9. Organizes, instructs and supervises school health assistants and/or volunteers.
10. Provides statistical reports and information to the superintendent, DOE, DHHS, and CDC, as may be required.
11. Renders first aid to students and, if appropriate, to school employees.
12. Confers with teachers about students with health concerns for educational placement.
13. Consults with the school physician when referral needs arise as dictated by each particular situation.
14. Serves as a member of the crisis intervention team.
15. Plan clinics as may be necessary and appropriate to promote health care for parents, students, and staff.
16. Serves as a resource person to the classroom teacher and administration in health programs and policies.
17. Coordinates school and community health activities and serves as the liaison among the home, school, and community.
18. Processes on-line Workman’s Compensation First Reports for their building and refers staff to current Workers Comp provider as needed.
19. Provides coverage for absent nurses as assigned.
20. Attends district school nurse meetings.
21. Keeps up to date on current health issues and disseminates as needed.
22. Other job-related duties assigned by the Building Leader.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Per the most recent Collective Bargaining Agreement.
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the School Committee’s policy on Evaluation of Teachers.
NOTE: The above job description reflects the general requirements necessary to describe the principal functions or responsibilities of the job identified and shall not be interpreted as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the job, either at present or in the future.