Special Education Teacher (2020-2021 School Year)
LEARN is a network of high performing college preparatory, tuition-free public elementary and middle schools. that serve children. There are 10 LEARN Schools serving 4,100 students in grades PK-8 across Chicago, Waukegan, and North Chicago.
LEARN and our amazing educators, have received numerous recognitions for making an impact in public education, including the 2018 Chicago Magazine's Top Elementary Charter Schools and the 2018 Illinois Network of Charter Schools Principal of the Year Award.
LEARN's mission remains crystal clear: to provide children with the academic foundation and ambition to earn a college degree. LEARN is currently looking for hard-working and passionate professionals that are dedicated to transforming public education.
The primary responsibilities of the Special Education Teacher are to maintain quality services in accordance with state/federal guidelines and ensuring that instruction, modifications, etc. for students with special needs are being implemented consistently. An ideal candidate is someone who has a proven record of success and is committed to maintaining high expectations for students.
Roles and Responsibilities
• Planning and delivering differentiated instruction to children with special needs based on the identified goals of IEPs
• Implementing ongoing assessments to develop and revise IEP goals as necessary
• Assisting instructors in developing interventions for students
• Maintaining updated and accurate reports
• Maintaining ongoing parent communication
• Facilitating school based problem solving meetings
• Coordinating evaluations and supervising the referral process and IEP development
• Ensuring timely delivery of internal and/ or contracted services
• Ensuring ongoing compliance with Illinois State Law and CPS regulations while maintaining regular communication with CPS Office of Specialized Services
• Provide direct services as needed to Special Education students
• Demonstrates effective classroom management skills that contributes to a positive learning environment
• Willingness to collaborate with peers and to grow professionally
• Understands how to use data to improve instruction and academic outcomes
• Degree in Special Education and Illinois LBS I certification
• 1 yr of Teaching experience in special education required
• Demonstrated track record of delivering gains in student academic achievement
• Demonstrated record of living LEARN's Core Values
• Must be Highly Qualified according to IL State Board of Education
We offer a comprehensive and competitive benefits package for all full time employees, including Health insurance, dental, vision, paid vacation, personal days, paid holidays, short and long term disability, paid life insurance, 403B and the Chicago Teachers' Pension fund.
Caring for children can be physically demanding. Teachers may be lifting and carrying children and equipment, and may spend time sitting on the floor or child sized furniture. Nature of work requires an ability to operate standard business office equipment. Requires the ability to communicate and exchange information, collect, compile and prepare work documents, set-up and maintain work files. Teachers will also be expected to clean and maintain equipment and facility, and may move throughout the community with children. Physical demands require the ability to stand, bend, reach high and low, stoop, walk around the classroom and kneel upwards of 60% of the day. In addition walking up and down stairs several times a day. Must be able to lift 15 to 20 pounds for short periods of time and push and pull 15 to 20 lbs.
Teacher will be working in a busy and occasionally noisy environment. There may be a number of activities and situations happening at once, and the Teacher will have to supervise all children at all times. Majority of work will be performed in a general office/ school environment. Position requires availability for extended hours plus non-traditional hours required to perform job duties. Also requires participation and attendance at organization sponsored events and meetings.
This job description is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties or skills required for the job and is subject to review and change at any time, with or without notice, in accordance with the needs of LEARN Charter School Network. Since no job description can detail all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time in the performance of a job, duties and responsibilities that may be inherent in a job, reasonably required for its performance, or required due to the changing nature of the job shall also be considered part of the jobholder's responsibility.