Approved Substitutes are placed on an active sub listing and only called when a regular employee is not able to complete their daily assignment.
Qualifications: 1. High School Diploma or equivalent
2. Experience in general cleaning
Reports to: Head Custodian, the building principal and Supervisor of Grounds and Maintenance
Job Status: On call as needed
Job Goal: The job of Custodian is established for the purpose/s of maintaining attractive, sanitary and safe facilities for students, staff and public; providing equipment and furniture arrangements for meetings, classroom activities and events; minimizing property damage, loss and liability exposure; coordinating the building and grounds maintenance needs with central maintenance personnel;
- Keep assigned building and premises – cleans assigned building (i.e. classrooms, offices, restrooms, multipurpose rooms, corridors, furniture, carpets, windows, walls, bleachers, stage, locker rooms, sidewalks, play areas, grounds, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining a sanitary, safe and attractive environment.
- Perform daily cleaning and maintenance in assigned areas to insure a high level of cleanliness and safety.
- Report needed supplies, inspect and report water leaks, potential repairs, unsafe conditions, electrical or mechanical failures, hazards or concerns to the Head Building Custodian or designee immediately.
- Prepare facilities and equipment needed for special events in the building
- Comply with federal, state, and local laws and procedures for the storage and disposal of supplies, trash, rubbish and waste. Participate in District required safety and other training opportunities.
- Perform general maintenance duties as requested
- Responds to immediate safety and/or operational concerns (i.e. facility damage, unauthorized persons, alarms, etc.) for the purpose of taking appropriate action to resolve immediate safety issues and maintaining a functioning educational environment.
- Assist with care of the grounds as necessary
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Head Building Custodian , Building principal or Supervisor of Grounds/Maintenance.
- Project a professional, appropriate presence among staff and students.
- Works cooperatively as part of a team.
- Lower body strength to stand/walk throughout the work shift (and overtime, if required).
- Upper body strength to lift up to 30-50 pounds regularly and 85-90 pounds occasionally.
- Balance strong enough to climb various ladders and scaffolding
- Tolerance of moderate exposure to weather extremes
- Ability to withstand repetitive extremity movement (i.e. mopping, sweeping, etc.)
- Tolerance of frequent exposure to various airborne particles, various supplies containing potentially hazardous materials or chemicals. Tolerance of exposure to bloodborne pathogens or potentially infectious materials.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
Skills are required to perform multiple, non-technical tasks with a potential need to upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skills required to satisfactorily perform the functions of this job include: operating equipment used in industrial maintenance, common tools, etc. and adhering to safety practices.
Knowledge is required to understand written and verbal procedures and speak clearly; and understand multi-step written and oral instructions. Specific knowledge required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job includes: methods of industrial cleaning; safety practices and procedures; basic tools for minor repairs, confined space entry; and boiler maintenance.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job’s functions require the following physical demands: significant lifting, carrying, pushing, and or pulling, some climbing and balancing, frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling. Generally, the job requires 5% sitting, 70% walking and 25% standing. The job is performed under some temperature extremes and some hazardous conditions.
Terms of employment: Designated by Contract
Required Testing Certificates & Licenses Clearances
None Specified Criminal Justice Background Clearance
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.