Middle School Art Teacher
MIDDLE SCHOOL ART TEACHER
To plan, organize and implement an appropriate art instructional program in a secondary learning environment that guides and encourages students to develop and fulfill their academic potential. The art teacher will be responsible for developing in each student an interest in and the ability for creative expression in visual terms, using skills and techniques of artistic expression consistent with school guidelines; to develop aesthetic understandings and appreciations; to discover talents of students in the field of art. Work is performed under the supervision of the Principal.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Meet State of Michigan requirements for teacher certification in the required subject area(s) and grade level(s).
- Candidates must demonstrate the following:
- Exceptional skill in planning, delivering and assessing student learning.
- Exceptional knowledge in research based instructional strategies and ability to implement them effectively.
- Knowledge in the use of technology to support instruction.
- Ability to maintain high standards of professional conduct at all times.
- Punctuality, good attendance and strong work ethics in all areas.
- Ascribe to the philosophy that all children can succeed and demonstrates the commitment to do what is necessary to make this a reality.
- The Teacher will provide direct instruction and intervention to students.
- The Teacher will encourage students to set and maintain high standards of responsibility for their learning and behavior.
- Prepare lesson plans and show preparation upon request by school administration.
- Possess a working knowledge of the State of Michigan Common Core guidelines and integrate them into the subject area you teach.
- Evaluate each student’s performance on a continual basis when necessary, refer students who need assistance.
- Prepare progress reports
- Differentiated instruction to meet the needs of each student according to varying needs of student
- Knowledge of learning styles and skill in using varied teaching methods to address student-learning styles.
- Design coherent instruction and student assessments
- Ability to plan and implement a variety of activities for maximum effectiveness of instruction and student participation.
- Observe students for behavioral problems and ensure that any behavioral issues are quickly and tactfully addressed to
- Develop key incentives to ensure students’ participation in class
- Classroom management utilizing positive behavior support model
- Create an environment of respect and rapport
- Organize physical space that is conducive to learning
- Use of varied teaching strategies
- Use of effective formative and summative assessment techniques
- Use of technology in the classroom
- Employ a variety of research-based instructional strategies and instructional media consistent with the capabilities, needs and physical limitations of students.
- Instruct rules of conduct and ensure classroom and campus discipline.
- Participate in weekly staff meetings, on-going professional developments and grade level/content area meetings and trainings.
- Maintain appropriate administrative records according to district policy.
- Consistently support and uphold school policies and procedures. Support the school and its leadership.
- Model self-discipline and ethical behavior. Present self in a professional manner through appropriate dress, communication techniques and demeanor.
- Skill in oral and written communication with students, parents and others.
- Ability to plan and implement a variety of activities for maximum the effectiveness of instruction and student participation.
- Ability to maintain appropriate student supervision so that students have a safe and orderly environment in which to learn.
- Ability to work effectively with peers, administrators and others.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Principal or designee.
The Art Teacher will perform all or some of the following Job description:
- Teach knowledge and skills in art, including drawing, painting, lettering, and art history,
- Demonstrate techniques in activities such as drawing and painting
- Understand the versatility of acrylic paints: dry brushing, staining, layering, underpainting, mono-printing.
- Assist students in creating projects to help them understand difficult concepts
- Knows and can apply elements of design and modern principles of art
- Enable students to create a portfolio of their art works
- Instruct students in proper care and use of tools and equipment
- Select and maintain required inventory records of instructional materials, tools, instructional aids, and equipment
- Plan and present art displays and exhibitions designed to exhibit students’ work for the school and the community
- Maintain professional competence through in-service education activities provided by the school and/or in self-selected professional growth activities
- Communicate with parents and school counselors on pupil progress
- Participate in curriculum and other developmental programs, such as after school art club.