Substitute Van Driver
Substitute Rate: $13.75/hour
Substitute works on an "as needed" basis
Average of 5 hours per assignment, however, each assignment will vary
Position: Substitute Van Driver
Reports To: Transportation Supervisor
Superintendent of Schools/Designee
Responsible for operating a school van to transport students to and from their home and school as well as related activities according to Chillicothe City School District, state, and federal guidelines. Under general supervision, this position reports to the Transportation Supervisor as assigned.
- Any combination of training and experience equivalent to the 12th grade and three years of experience as a licensed motor vehicle operator.
- Must know the rules, regulations, procedures and laws as they relate to the operation of a passenger vehicle.
- Must be able to meet or exceed the annual state required physical examination.
- Must be able to pass drug and alcohol testing as required by law. Must possess a good driving record: NO MOVING TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS WITHIN THE PAST YEAR AND NOT MORE THAN ONE MOVING TRAFFIC VIOLATION WITHIN THE PAST TWO YEARS.
Must maintain a good driving and criminal background that reflects a professional driver and which meets all contractual, local, state, and federal requirements. Must possess a valid State of Ohio Driver’s License and school van certification from the Ohio Department of Education. Must be at least 21 years of age or older.
- Demonstrates skill in oral and written communication
- Willingness to work
- Demonstrates good organizational skills
- Demonstrates good decision-making skills
- Demonstrates good listening skills
- Satisfactory work record
- High mental and visual effort required
Typical Tasks (Illustrative only):
The following is a list of specific duties which are considered to be essential functions of this job. The list is not exhaustive, nor will all of the duties specified be required at all times. This is consistent with our need to be flexible and responsive to the needs of pupils served by the District. The employee who occupies this position is expected to assume any/all duties assigned by the Superintendent or the employee’s immediate supervisor, irrespective of whether such duties are specifically included in t his list. While an effort has been made to thoroughly describe the customary manner in which this job is performed, reasonable accommodation will be made for qualified individuals with disabilities who may not be able to perform the job in the manner indicated. All instructional activities will conducted under the general supervision of the teacher assigned to the instructional activity.
- Drives a school van on an assigned route in order to pick up and discharge students.
- Performs daily pre-trip inspection.
- Checks and fills the van with oil, fuel, coolant, and other fluids to proper levels.
- Inspects the van to ensure that all necessary safety equipment (i.e., flares, fire extinguisher and first aid kit) is present.
- Maintains student discipline by verbal directions and reminders according to district guidelines.
- Communicates with students, parents, staff, and administrators.
- Demonstrates an interest in and empathy for children.
- Reports van malfunctions or suspected van malfunctions to mechanic or Transportation Supervisor.
- Operates operates hazard lights at railroad crossings.
- Operates a two-way radio properly.
- Reads and follows instructions from written materials: maps, route sheets, pre-trip instructions, field trips, etc.
- Completes required forms.
- Performs emergency first aid.
- Attends inservice and training programs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Desirable Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of the operation of basic van mechanical equipment.
- Considerable knowledge of Ohio Motor Vehicle Laws.
- General knowledge of defensive driving.
- Some knowledge of child behavior.
- Skill in the operation of a passenger van.
- Ability to care for challenged students with diverse and special transportation needs.
- Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
- Ability to read and write.
- Ability to communicate well with people.
- Ability to be calm under stress.
- Ability to control temper and maintain poise.
This job description in no manner states or implies these are the only duties and responsibilities to be performed by the position incumbent. The incumbent will be required to follow instructions and perform duties required by the incumbent’s supervisor, appointing authority, or designee.