JobID 49001 : Sub Custodian (#1271332)
NORTH POLK COMMUNITY SCHOOL DISTRICT
Job Title: Sub Custodian
Reports to: Director of Building & Grounds Maintenance
Evaluation: Evaluation to be completed annually by the Director of Building & Grounds Maintenance
FLSA Status: _____ Exempt X Non-Exempt
Status: X Full Time ___x__ Part Time
X Hourly _____ Salary
Basic Function: To keep the building and grounds clean and attractive
Attendance at work
Ability to take and follow instructions
Ability to get along with co-workers and supervisors
Ability to work independently
Cleaning, care and maintenance of school facilities as described below
- 1. Be in the assigned building at all times except when custodial responsibilities require assistance in other areas. Notify the Director of Building and Grounds when it is necessary to be out of the building.
- 2. Assume responsibilities for the closing of the building each school day and for determining, before leaving, that all doors and windows are secured and all lights, except those left on for safety reasons, are turned off. Activate and deactivate the building security systems.
- 3. Scrub and disinfect floors, fixtures in the restrooms daily. Replace soap and paper supplies. Clean water fountain daily.
- 4. Sweep classrooms daily.
- 5. Vacuum carpeted areas at least once every other day, more if needed.
- 6. Dust flat counter surfaces, bookcases, window ledges, telephones and table as needed; objects do not need to be removed before dusting.
- 7. Clean hallways each day.
- 8. Keep all floors in a clean and attractive condition and in good state of preservation.
- 9. Clean all chalkboards and whiteboards at least once a week.
- 10. Clean entry mats daily.
- 11. Remove graffiti as soon as possible.
- 12. Sweep gym floors each day and before events if you are assigned a building which houses a gym.
- 13. Follow district procedures for clean-up of vomit and other body fluids.
- 14. Conduct an on-going program of general maintenance. (i.e. replacing ceiling tile, tightening screws in desks, chairs and door closures, replacing light bulbs, doing minor plumbing repairs and cleaning filters and checking motors in the unit ventilators.)
- 15. Report major repairs promptly to the Director of Buildings and Grounds.
- 16. Check the building heating system at least twice a day to ensure that it is working properly, when in use. Report problems to the Director of Building and Grounds promptly.
- 17. Move furniture or equipment as requested for various activities as directed by the principal.
- 18. Wash windows on both the inside and outside at least once each year and more frequently if necessary.
- 19. Keep constant check on the duty sheet to be posted in the building office.
- 20. Keep building premises, including sidewalks and play areas clean at all times.
- 21. Shovel, plow and/or put ice melt on walks and steps as appropriate.
- 22. Contact Director of Building and Grounds for supplies as needed.
- 23. Mow around buildings as requested.
- 24. Check for safety hazards and report them to the Director of Buildings and Grounds.
- 25. Help unload commodities.
- 26. Cooperate with all district personnel.
- 27. Participate in professional meetings.
- 28. Follow all district policies, including those relating to a drug-free school.
- 29. Contribute to an effective and efficient school district.
- 30. Be prepared for any surprises and be able to cope.
- 31. Clean the gym locker rooms and coaches’ office daily, making sure that the stools, showers, sinks and drinking fountains are thoroughly cleaned and disinfected. Keep all dispensers filled. Clean the benches, walls door frames, and mirrors as needed. Keep the floors clear of clutter, swept and mopped.
- 32. Set up gym and make necessary arrangements needed for all activities.
- 33. Take out garbage in administration area and clean administration restroom.
- 34. Dust lockers, trophy cases, door and window ledges and wash windows, mirrors, walls and door frames
- 35. Assist the school office and elementary custodian as needed.
- 36. Keep busy throughout work shift using time wisely and completing tasks in a timely fashion.
- 37. During summer break, perform the work necessary to prepare the building for the next school year sharing the responsibility of supervising summer help and showing by example how the work is to be done.
- 38. Demonstrate organization and professionalism in fulfilling the responsibilities of the job.
- 39. Greet all students, faculty, staff, and visitors courteously.
- 40. Maintain a positive rapport with students, staff, parents and the community.
- 41. Cooperate with and work in a courteous manner with co-workers and other personnel.
- 42. Dress appropriately for the position and work required.
- 43. Demonstrate a positive attitude toward school, students and job and communicate the same to the community.
- 44. Accept constructive criticism and suggestions and seek to improve each performance responsibility.
- 45. Maintain confidentiality in the school operation.
- 46. Adhere to applicable state and federal laws, rules and regulations, board policies and administrative rules.
- 47. Maintain the facility in a condition of excellent cleanliness. Cleaning duties may include but are not necessarily limited to: sweeping, dusting, mopping/scrubbing, vacuuming, washing windows, cleaning “chalkboards”, cleaning furniture, laundry, waxing floors and disposing of trash.
- 48. Check daily to ensure that all exit doors are open and all panic bolts are working properly during the hours of building occupancy.
- 49. Perform such yard keeping chores as grass cutting and tree trimming as necessary, to maintain the school grounds in a safe and attractive condition.
- 50. Maintain on a regular schedule all motors and other mechanical equipment requiring scheduled servicing.
- 51. Remain on the school premises during school hours, and during non-school hours when the use of the building has been authorized and extended work hours have been approved.
- 52. Keep an inventory of supplies, equipment, and fuel on hand, and requisitions such needed replacements from the Director of Building and Grounds far enough in advance so that they may be delivered in such time as will not hinder the custodian’s work.
- 53. Comply with local laws and procedures for the storage and disposal of trash, rubbish, and waste.
- 54. Conduct periodic inspections and tests of all electrical installations in the school to ensure their safe condition.
- 55. Assumes such other duties and responsibilities as may be directed by the Building Principal and Director of Building and Grounds.
Specifications/Qualifications: 1. High School Diploma or equivalent.
- 2. Minimum of 18 years of age.
- 3. No experience required; experience in general cleaning, chemical handling, and customer service preferred.
- 4. Criminal background check required for hire.
- 5. Ability to successfully complete a pre-hire, post-offer physical examination.
- 6. Basic Problem Solving Skills
- 7. Ability to acquire skills necessary to operate various types of cleaning equipment.
- 8. Ability to prioritize tasks and adapt to changes without notice.
- 9. Ability to promote and follow Board of Education policies, Superintendent policies and building and department procedures.
- 10. Ability to communicate, interact, and work effectively and cooperatively with people from diverse ethnic and educational backgrounds.
- 11. Ability to recognize the importance of safety in the work habits, utilize appropriate safety equipment and report unsafe conditions to the appropriate administrator.
- 1. Includes extremes of temperature and humidity.
2. Hazards include stairs and communicable diseases.
The statements contained herein describe the scope of the responsibility and essential functions of this position, but should not be considered to be an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time unless restricted by a negotiated contract.
Any employee not covered by a negotiated contract agreement is an “at-will” employee. Either the school district or the employee can terminate the employment relationship at will, with or without cause, so long as there is no violation of applicable federal or state law. The school district can define the number of days notice required of a terminating employee.