Custodian - Afternoon Shift
Description: Provide daily maintenance on equipment and building systems and assist in cleaning of all common areas, restrooms, corridors, classroom/labs, offices, and the gymnasium.
Qualifications: Must be physically able to bend, stoop, climb, reach, move, and use cleaning fluids and germicidal agents. Must be able to lift and use wet mop and other janitorial equipment.
Reports To: Custodial Supervisor
Job Goal: To provide a clean and safe campus for students and staff
Start Date: ASAP
Work Year: 12 months
Benefits: Access to insurance benefits, IMRF provided, and 12 sick days/2 personal days/5 vacation days
The custodian has the primary responsibility for cleaning the campus in such a way to promote health and safety while reducing the spread of infection. It is the role of the custodian to follow daily, weekly and monthly cleaning schedules at the campus including, but not limited to, the classrooms, kitchen, office areas, bathrooms, storage areas and entrances. The custodian may also be responsible for performing additional duties not stipulated below. These additional duties may include general building and grounds maintenance, laundry, etc.
1. Follows and completes campus daily, weekly and monthly cleaning schedule. These duties include:
• Collects and bags all garbage from the campus
• Disinfects and cleans garbage and trash cans, and changes bags
• Washes and sanitizes bathrooms with germicidal solution
• Clean all washable floors daily including kitchen, bathroom, office and classroom
2. Washes bathroom, kitchen, classroom and other windows and walls
3. Vacuums all carpeting daily
4. Sweeps and clears entrance spaces, daily
5. Dusts, washes and sanitizes other surfaces as specified in schedule
6. Performs other cleaning duties as specified in schedule
7. Refills paper towel, tissue, toilet paper and hand soap in all dispensers
8. Changes light bulbs, as needed
9. Reports the following to the Custodial Supervisor:
• Presence of animals or insects
• Need for cleaning supplies or equipment repair in advance
• Water leaks, and other maintenance needs
• All other health and safety hazards noticed
10. Participates in emergency drills and environmental safety activities, as requested
11. Attends and participates in campus per-service and in-service trainings.
12. Performs other duties as specified in job description addendum or as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by a person in this position. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties that may be performed in such a position.