Bus Driver/Bldg & Grounds
Wage/Hour Status: Non-Exempt Job Title: Grounds Worker/Bus Driver
Reports to: Custodial Supervisor Pay Grade: Hourly
Length of Assignment: 12 Months Date Revised: September 2018
Operate school bus and related equipment to provide safe and orderly transportation of students and other authorized persons on assigned route and to and from other designated locations.? Maintain safe and attractive grounds and landscaping for the district.
Clear and valid Texas commercial driver’s license with Passenger (P) and School Bus (S) endorsements
Must be 18 years of age
Ability to pass U.S. Department of Transportation alcohol and drug tests and annual physical exam
Ability to complete required bus driver safety training
Ability to follow written and verbal instructions
Ability to use maps and Global Positioning Systems (GPS) to follow routes and locate addresses
Ability to manage student behavior
Ability to communicate effectively with others
Ability to operate bus
Ability to read and understand written instructions
Ability to communicate verbally
Ability to operate tractor and landscaping equipment
Ability to operate riding or power mower, power tools, and hand tools
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Drive bus daily following assigned route and adhering to established schedules.
2. Drive bus to and from extracurricular activities.
3. Anticipate problems such as traffic, weather, road conditions, and schedule changes and make necessary adjustments to ensure student safety and reduce delays.
4. Perform pre- and post-trip inspections according to specifications to ensure bus can be operated safely and notify supervisor of needed repairs. Keep assigned bus clean and maintain appropriate level of fuel.
5. Report all accidents, vehicle damage, student injuries, and mechanical problems and complete required corresponding reports. Student Management
6. Instruct students on safe entering, exiting, and passenger rules and regulations. Supervise students while they board and leave the bus and cross the street.
7. Maintain discipline and use effective behavior management control over groups of students. Report student discipline problems to appropriate administrator and communicate with teachers and parents regarding student’s
behavior when warranted.
8. Perform emergency evacuation of students on bus when the situations warrants.
9. Observe all traffic laws and safety regulations for school buses.
10. Ensure proper condition of emergency equipment, such as first aid kit, fire extinguisher, flags, fuses, crow bar, and reflector.
11. Correct unsafe conditions in work area and promptly report conditions that are not immediately correctable to supervisor. Report any hazardous conditions along scheduled route.
12. Install snow chains during inclement weather.
13. Maintain safety certification.
14. Operate and monitor two-way radio equipment to communicate with transportation office and other drivers.
15. Complete and maintain accurate, up-to-date, and timely records and reports including but not limited to those related to bus mileage, gas and oil consumption, and number of passengers transported.
Major Responsibilities and Duties
Grounds and Landscaping:
1. Mow, edge, trim and detail all district grounds, including athletic fields.
2. Care for trees, shrubs, and flowers by watering, pruning, fertilizing, mulching, caring for beds, and controlling weeds.
3. Plant shrubs and vegetation.
4. Assist with the preparation of athletic fields for games, including chalking fields.
5. Maintain a schedule to water, trim, and fertilize all district grounds.
6. Collect and dispose of leaves, dirt, rubbish, and refuse from district facilities.
7. Assist with the inspection, repair, and installation of sprinkler systems.
8. Assess damage to shrubs, trees, flowers and grass and replant when necessary.
9. Keep sidewalks, parking areas and lawns in clean, litter free and in excellent appearance.
10. Operate tools and equipment according to prescribed safety procedures.
11. Follow established safety procedures and techniques to perform job duties, including lifting, climbing, etc.
12. Correct unsafe conditions in work area and report any conditions that are not correctable to supervisor immediately.
13. Help keep vehicle, equipment, and tools clean and in safe operating condition.
14. Inspect and adjust tools and equipment for safety and efficiency and perform preventive maintenance as needed.
15. Transport workers and equipment to work sites throughout the district.
16. Treat all staff and students in a professional courteous manner.
17. Maintain emotional control under stress.
Tractor and mower, riding and power mower, gas–powered weed trimmer, blower, edger, sprayer, striping machine, garden and hand tools, posthole auger, aerator. Light truck or van.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Continual walking, standing, climbing, stooping, bending, kneeling, reaching, and heavy lifting and carrying. Work outside and around moving objects or vehicles. Exposure to extreme temperatures, chemicals (herbicides and fertilizer), and loud noises. Frequent district wide travel.
The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.