Inclusion Companion-After School-Skokie Elementary Schools
The Inclusion Companion is responsible for working with individuals with varied ages and disabilities in recreational programs throughout the Park Districts of Skokie, Morton Grove, Niles, Park Ridge, Golf-Maine, and Des Plaines as well as The Village of Lincolnwood Recreation Department. The position includes verbal and hands-on support of participants with disabilities, recognizing the need for adaptive equipment, and adapting rules and the environment as needed in order to include the child in the Park District program. Through the help of the Inclusion Companion, the individuals with special needs have a more successful, safe and positive experience. We are currently searching for Inclusion Companions to work at before-school programs, AM and PM preschool programs, and after-school programs throughout the 2018-2019 school-year.
Inclusion programs take place year-round. The location and hours vary based on the park district, with program times typically ranging in three hour increments between 7:00 a.m. and 6:00pm, Monday through Friday. There may also be opportunities to work in the evenings and weekends at additional Park District and M-NASR programs. M-NASR is very flexible and is willing to work with the right candidate's schedule.
Qualifications: The Inclusion Companion must be at least 16 years of age or older. A basic knowledge and understanding of working with children (especially children who have disabilities or special needs) is preferred. An individual who is highly motivated, enthusiastic, independent, responsible, and passionate about helping others is preferred in order to provide a quality experience for children participating in the programs. Inclusion Companions must complete an annual Driver's Abstract and Criminal Background Check. Pay rate varies based on experience and qualifications.
1. Responsible for maintaining one-on-one assistance for included participant as his/her number one priority
2. Staff is required to maintain responsibility for his/her assigned included individual unless otherwise directed and confirmed by the Inclusion Manager or M-NASR full-time staff (supervise included individual that staff has been assigned)
3. Develop rapport with included individual and attend to his/her physical needs when necessary
4. Provide and plan activities for included individual with disabilities, if he/she is unable to accomplish provided activities by Member Park District
5. Ability and desire to work with individuals with disabilities in a Therapeutic Recreation environment
6. Take initiative to interact with and work as a team-player with participant and family, peers, volunteers and staff in program
7. Knowledge of the strengths and concerns of people with intellectual, emotional, physical, social, and sensory disabilities as relevant to recreation setting
8. Act as a liaison with participant’s family and Inclusion Manager
9. Supervision of individuals (including physical restraining as an absolute last resort if NCI trained)
10. Attend mandatory seasonal staff orientations
Applicants with a background or college coursework in childcare, early childhood education, special education, education, physical therapy/assistant, occupational therapy/assistant, music therapy, art therapist, developmental therapy, early intervention, paraprofessionals, recreation, activities, park district programs, ABA therapists are encouraged to apply!
An individual who is highly motivated, enthusiastic, independent, responsible, and passionate about helping others is necessary in order to provide a quality experience for children participating in the programs. Inclusion Companion must complete an annual Driver's Abstract and Criminal Background Check. Pay rate varies based on experience and qualifications.