OCSAC - Dance Class Instructor
OLDHAM COUNTY BOARD OF EDUCATION
ADMINISTRATIVE REGULATION – 1021.042
JOB DESCRIPTION: DANCE INSTRUCTOR
- Proficient in dance terminology, technique, and the ability to demonstrate dance steps.
- Trained to teach dance under an OCDA director or qualified staff member of OCDA.
- Technical dance training in an academic, pre-professional/professional, and/or collegiate level setting.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Experience teaching or working with school-age students.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to build rapport with dance families and students.
- Ability to work well with the OCDA/OCSAC staff.
- Capacity to resolve concerns or conflicts that arise with students and families.
- Understanding of the OCSAC, its programs, and offerings for the community is a plus.
REPORTS TO: Dance Director
JOB GOAL: The Dance Instructor will lead classes, create a welcoming atmosphere, effectively teach students proper dance technique (terminology, body placement, step execution), and choreograph annual performances.
- Welcome students and families at the beginning of each class.
- Create a safe environment for students to learn and grow in dance.
- Prepare a syllabus approved by the Dance Director.
- Acquire access to appropriate music for each dance class.
- Observe and correct students’ body placement and technique during class.
- Teach and demonstrate new dance material and steps.
- Cultivate an atmosphere of encouragement and teamwork among the students in class.
- Choreograph pieces for annual performances and parent observation weeks.
- Respond to emails in a timely fashion to the Dance Director, OCDA instructors, and OCSAC staff.
- Attend all rehearsals and performances throughout the year.
- Notify parents and students of changes in the class schedule, upcoming rehearsals, and performance dates.
- Provide parents and students with necessary details for classes, rehearsals and performances.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Compensation will be based on the board-approved Oldham County Schools Arts Center salary schedule.
Adopted: July 23, 2018