High School Director
Who We Are:
Waukegan Community Unit School District No. 60 serves nearly 17,000 students in preschool through grade 12 and is located halfway between Chicago, Illinois and Milwaukee, Wisconsin on the shores of Lake Michigan. Our District has one early learning center, 15 elementary schools, five middle schools and a high school program divided between two 9 – 12th grade campuses. The District encompasses portions of Waukegan, Beach Park and Park City.
Why We Do This Work:
The Waukegan Community Unit School District No. 60 has set an ambitious agenda for change, guided by the belief that all children, regardless of circumstances, can achieve at high levels and academic gaps can and will be eliminated with the support of teachers who deliver engaging, relevant, and academically rigorous instruction that excites students and instills a love of learning in them.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE CLASS:
The School Director is directly responsible to the High School Co-Principal. The School Director must be a passionate, student-centered, teacher-leader, who accepts the responsibility for ensuring the academic and social success of Waukegan High School students. The School Director will play a pivotal role in the implementation and maintenance of aggressive educational reform for (9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grade), and are expected to support a grade level of students, including diverse learners and EL, and staff within a large high school as well as supervise core content curriculum development and instruction in (Social Studies, Science, English, Math, ENCORE and PE).
Location: Waukegan High School: Brookside (9th or 10th) or Washington Campus (11th or 12th)
- Serve as instructional leader for all grade level students;
- Drive and support the implementation of a focused educational reform movement directed at rapidly improving student achievement
- Develop and maintain a positive academic culture while holding the school accountable for student achievement;
- Collaborate within the “administrative matrix” that simultaneously vertically supports their school but horizontally supports all of the core content teachers on the campus to ensure support for teachers and to maximize student achievement;
- Lead Data Dives to identify the intentional supports needed to improve instruction;
- Responsibility to construct master schedule, including room assignments and teacher assignments, for all students and staff assigned to house;
- Responsible for hiring, supervising, and evaluating teaching faculty and support staff within the House;
- Responsible for providing support to new and veteran teachers to ensure the development necessary to maximize student learning;
- Responsible for effectively scheduling teachers (in coordination with Academic Chairs) to maximize teacher efforts and best support structures for student learning within the School;
- Lead, collaboratively with Academic Chairs, the development of curriculum based on Common Core and College Readiness Standards;
- Supervise the delivery of curriculum to ensure fidelity to standards;
- Demand effective, varied instruction, which maximizes student engagement, and learning with rich content, appropriate text, and analytical thinking
- Use data to drive curriculum development and assessment;
- Manage budgets to ensure appropriate instructional resources, texts, and equipment;
- Leads teachers, in partnership with Academic Chairs, in professional growth and supports both grade level and departmental teams in their collaboration to improve student achievement;
- Oversee discipline for the Grade Level School of students and ensure the implementation of the District Discipline Code;
- Monitor student attendance and ensure the implementation of the School Attendance Policy;
- Develop and implement discipline and attendance plans to increase student attendance and decrease out-of-school suspensions
- Evaluates the performance of personal to improve competencies and demand effective, varied instruction, which maximizes student engagement, and learning with rich content, appropriate text, and analytical thinking;
- Ensure due process for all students, including those with IEPs and 504 plans;
- Ensure integrity in discipline and attendance records;
- Support students with the MTSS process, providing interventions for students with academic, behavior and social concerns;
- Monitor the assessment/data of student learning to quickly identify struggling students;
- Develop high-performing instructional teams and team leaders;
- Responsible for supervising the work of Teacher Leaders to ensure accelerated gap-closing achievement for students.
- Lead and empower teams of teachers as practitioners of the MTSS process;
- Ensure friendly, efficient office systems to support students and their families
- facilitates, communication between personnel students and/or parents for the purpose of evaluating situations, solving problems, and or resolving conflicts;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree, School Administration Certificate (IL Type 75 or equivalent);
- Personal passion for working in a challenging urban school environment;
- Demonstrated capacity to effectively lead a department or other area of a high school;
- Experience designing and delivering high quality professional development to teachers;
- Proven experience serving as exemplar teacher in a core content area or specialty area;
- Explicit evidence of belief in capacity for all students to achieve academically;
- Administrative Experience, preferably at the High School Level - 5 years preferred; and
- High School Teaching Experience – 5 years preferred.
- Received or are eligible for PERA certification.
Additional Information: 12-month (20 days vacation) position
Application Deadline: Application Deadline: Candidates must submit an online application by the deadline.
Only online applications will be considered for interviews.
Waukegan Community Unit School District 60 offers employment opportunities
without regard to age, gender, race, color, national origin, religion, marital or military/veteran status, sexual
orientation, pregnancy, parental status, genetics or disability